Prologue

Demons weren't supposed to fall in love. They were demons, for crying out loud. They were supposed to reap souls and make the human kind suffer for the sins they've caused and brought to the Earth.

But these blood red eyes staring in the still water expressed something else.

The water reflected a picture of a girl. This was supposed to be his next target.

Her soul was pure - not tarnished by the horrors of the world. The smile that rested on her face spoke words that nobody could speak. It said she still had hope for humanity. Her eyes gleamed, looking for the good in everything that crossed her path.

Why did he have to go after a soul so innocent? Someone like this didn't deserve to be led down a trail of seduction and the sexual acts he was forced to do on each victim he was assigned to.

A clawed finger would touch the glimmering waters, distorting the image of the girl.

"Why her?" A deep, husky voice would ask, "Couldn't it have been some prostitute..?"

Memories flashed through his mind of meeting the girl as a baby. How she grabbed his horns and tried to play with them. How amusing. This girl did the same exact thing six years later; she was only a child then. Would she repeat that act now? Now that she was an adult? Probably not. She'd look at him with sheer disgust.

The male shut his eyes for a few moments before he let out a long sigh. He had no choice. He'd have to see her again. He'd have to seduce her. He would have to rip her soul straight out of her body. It was the bad part about being an incubus.

"But can I really do it?" He asked himself, sitting on the dead grass in a criss-cross position. The wind would blow around him, making his long, silky hair move off of his shoulders, moving in the direction of the wind. His eyes would flutter back open, glancing up at the black and red sky. "I have to try..."

He wouldn't fail. He never did. He was known in the demon realm more reaping the most souls. A lot of benefits came from being the 'most beautiful man in the world', as they call him in the human realm. The male rolled his eyes. Humans disgusted him. All they looked for was attention - especially from people that they see to be a good mate. It was human nature.
He wasn't human, nor did he ever want to be.

But this human. She was odd. She went to charity events and she went there with a smile on her face. She would give away her clothing to the homeless without a complaint. Has she ever had a boyfriend? He assumed not. She had only been kissed by her mother and father - and he could distinguish between what was parental love and male lust.

"Such a chaste human," he mumbled, the picture of the human girl reappearing in the water. She was currently sleeping. In the human realm, it was around two in the morning where she was located. Her facial expressions while she slept were peaceful. It made this restless male want to nap along with her.

It pained him to know he was going to have to make those facial expressions ones of pain and sorrow. Hurt and regret.

Now that he thought about it, he might have a bit of trouble doing this.

"Dammit," he whispered, leaning back in the grass, his face directed at the sky. "If I don't do this, I'll be vanquished." He glanced to the side, looking over at the wilted flowers by his side. His world was really gloomy. What a pity.

He turned onto his side, listening to the pitter-patter of the water. He had learned long ago to block out the voices of the damned. Their screams used to haunt him, but after 10,000 years of living, he's learned tricks to avoid having to listen to their annoying wails.

A new voice was heard in his head. It was melodic.

'Come to me...' it called out.

Unbeknownst to him, it was just a hallucination. Maybe from the constant loneliness of being in the demon realm? Who knows?

He took it as a sign.

"Is that what she sounds like now?" He asked, moving his arm up, attempting to 'grab' the sky. "What a pretty voice..."

Pure. Sweet. Like an angel in human form.

"Too bad I'm going to have to kill her..."

But could he really do it?

Or was he already too gone?

Would he be able to control himself when he would meet you in his 'human' form?Time would only tell.