Chap 1

I stood there watching as I fell through a tunnel and landed with an Oof! I looked around and started walking. All of the sudden, "Help!" a person yelled out in pain. I looked to my right and I saw a girl trying to get away from a man with red eyes that looked like he was trying to rape her. I tried to get to them, but something held me back. There seemed to be a wall in my way and it wouldn't move out of my way. I stood there staring at the girl getting abused and sat down and started crying.

I woke up screaming and yelling in pain. I looked around. Where am I? I wondered to myself finally it came back to me. I layed in my bed sweating like crazy. I got out of bed and snuck out of my window, slid down the vine outside my window and snuck onto the roof of the rundown business next to my abusive dad's shack.

I climbed down from the top and walked to my favorite place by a stream outside of town and waited for the sun to come up. I sat on my thinking rock to come up with a plan to get out of this dark hole.

Two years ago, I had come to live with my dad thinking that it would be better than living with an alcoholic mother. I soon figured out pretty soon that my dad was worse and physically and verbally abused his children. I had tried to come up with a way to get out of there, but everytime I ran away I got caught and got beat until I was black and blue. I have one big sister, Callina, and two younger siblings, Trell and Zane. Trell and Zane are twins and are six years old. Callina is eighteen years old. Lucky for her that she got to get out of the....house if you even wanted to call it that. She had somehow got enough money to go to a college and was doing pretty good, but she was pretty wary of guys. She had some freaky ninja skills that she almost killed me with when I snuck out one time and made it to her apartment. She didn't know it was me until I screamed at her that it was just me. She was pretty creeped out. She flipped out and yelled, "Tyson Drew! You scared the crap out of me!" She slapped me and was about to say something else, but there was a knock on the door. We froze, she stuffed me in her tiny closet and told me to be quiet. She opened the door and our dad waltzed in, slammed the door to the closet open and grabbed me by the shirt collar. He said nothing as he dragged me home and that was the end of that escape.

The sun was coming up, I knew had to get home before my dad woke up and get ready for school. School was my only place away from dad and even if I didn't have any friends there I loved school. I raced home, grabbed the vines and hauled myself into my window. I quickly got my jeans on and a t-shirt that said 'Don't let the world grab you and stuff you in a box' with a dog standing in a fighting stance growling. I walked down to my siblings' room and knocked quietly on their door. "Trell, Zane wake up. Dad will be awake soon and will be mad if we don't hurry up."

I heard crashing as they hurriedly got up and pulled shirts over their heads and started jumping into their jeans. Suddenly, I heard our dad's door open and he yelled out, "You dumb kids ready yet? You better be ready or I'll beat your hides off."

I raced into my room and grabbed my books. I ran out of my room and went into the twin's room. They were quickly gathering their stuff. We ran down the stairs and out of the house trying to get to school before dad could chase us and make a scene.

I looked back to check on the kids and to see that dad wasn't behind us. Suddenly, there was a bone jarring thud and I fell down on top of a person. I quickly got up and gave her a hand up. I asked out of breath, "Are you okay? That was a pretty hard thud." She looked up and with glittering mad eyes she sarcastically said with a snarl, "Of course I am. It's not like I just got hit with an elephant."

She had beautiful brown doe eyes that held specs of gold in them, flowing brown hair that hung around her shoulders with grace, a green jacket that had red sparkles and said 'Don't mess with me or you'll be sorry' , bell bottom pants with a flower stitched onto the sides, a sideways hat that gave her a bad girl look, and wild colored wheely shoes that she looked completely cute in.

She had her arms folded and she leaned to the side with a 'are you just gonna stare at me all day ir apologize' look on her face. For some reason I got this stupid feeling to make her even madder. I walked around her and waited for the huff that I somehow knew she would do. Sure enough she huffed then I heard someone stomping toward me. I almost laughed when she stomped around me and stopped right in front of me with an adorable look on her face. She asked, "Well, aren't ya gonna say sorry?"

I looked at her and said, "I'm sorry, did I catch your name or did I miss it somehow?"

She stared at me and slowly started grinning. She stuck out her hand with enthusiasm and said, "That's more like it. That's how someone should act. My name's Hope. What's your name?"

I shook her hand and stuck my thumbs in my pockets and grinned right back. "I'm Tyson."

She shook her head playfully and said, "We'd better get to school or we'll be late."

I remembered my dad and zipped off beside her. We made it to school just in time and raced to our classes, which turned out were the same.

I found out that she was fifteen, the same age as me. We even played the same instrument, bass clarinet. We were so much alike in school that I forgot about out of school.