DO NOT READ

Good.
Now I know I can trust you.
You're curious. You're brave. And you're not afraid to lead a life of crime.

But let's get something straight: if, despite my warning, you insist on reading this book, you can't hold me responsible for the consequences.
And, make no bones about it, this is very dangerous book.

No, it won't blow up in your face. Or bite your head off. Or tear your limb from limb.
It probably won't injure you at all. Unless somebody throws it at you, which is a possibility that should never be discounted.

Generally speaking, books don't cause much harm. Except when you read them, that is. Then they cause all kind of problems.
Books can, for example, give you ideas. I don't know if you've ever had an idea before, but, if you have, you know how much trouble an idea can get you into.

Books can also provoke emotions. And emotions sometimes are even more troublesome than ideas. Emotions have led people to do all sorts of things they regret - like, oh, throwing a book at someone else.

But the main reason this book is so dangerous is that it concerns a secret.
A big secret.
It's funny the way secrets work. If you don't know about a secret, it doesn't bother you. You go about your business without a care in the world.
La la la, you sing. Everything's fine and dandy.
(Maybe you don't actually sing "la la la", but you know what I mean)

But as soon as you hear about the secret, it starts to nag at you. What is this secret? you wonder. Why am I not supposed to know about it? Why is it so important?

Suddenly, you're dying to know what the secret is. You beg. You plead. You threaten. You cajole. You promise never to tell anyone else. You try anything and everything. You dig into the secret-keeper's belongings. You pull his or her hair. And when that doesn't work, you pull your own.
Not knowing a secret is just about the worst thing in the world.
No, I can think of one thing worse.

Knowing a secret.
Read on, if you must.

But, remember, I warned you.