Chapter 1: gnashing of teeth

if you're wondering.. (which you're probably not)

Nicole Abner is my name, I don't have much of a life in fact I hardly have one at all.

I don't own land or a home..

I don't have family, or anybody to speak of.

however i'm quite content, because I view my life as a simple one.

I can take very good care of myself, I work to be paid even if it's not much.

or I work just for food, only when I can't find food on the land to hunt or scavenge.

i'm not the type to usually take pride in where I came from, I hardly care.

end of introduction..)

this morning I was busy carrying goods back to a mans house, he was paying me to get them and bring them back.

I couldn't really protect myself if I was to be raided, because I didn't carry any weapons.

I was dressed simply in black tights, boots and a white baggy frilled shirt like a man usually wears, I had simple features, blue eyes, and long dark blonde hair, sometimes it would look a bit lighter in the sun.

I was walking down a long dirt road between two large wheat fields..

the sun was obviously bright, and blinding.

I carried buckets on each end of a long wooden shoulder pole, they were a bit heavy, but I could manage.

it was peaceful while walking alone without any noise, being surrounded by the outside was comforting.

that all ended when I was stopped by a British Colonel, and the men under his command.

I heard the sound of horses running from behind me..

"you! stop!" the Colonel shouted.

I stopped and calmly turned slightly.

a Redcoat officer beside him leans over and whispers, "that's Lord Cornwallis's errand runner, she works for food and wages, she lives on the land and doesn't have a stable home." he proclaims.

"that must be the woman who was supposed to deliver a new shipment of supplies to the estate.." he suspects.

the Colonel reminds himself of the chat he had with Lord Cornwallis earlier and the mention of someone he called 'American errand runner'.

he gets infuriated, and decides to confront me about it.

"are you the American errand runner, promised to Lord Cornwallis?" he questioned cunningly.

"yes." I reply in a voice that had a hint of unintentional attitude.

he grins, "then you are aware, that you were supposed to pick up and deliver our new supply shipment?" 

"why haven't you done it?" he scorned.

"i'm aware, but I haven't gotten to it yet." I retort strongly but kindly.

"if you will excuse me, i'm late." I start walking away, but that angered him further.

with my back turned to him, he pulls his pistol from it's holster.

he points it at me angrily.

"Miss- I hope you know that disrespecting the crown will get you killed." he scorns.

the Redcoat officer beside him, became nervous.

I turn around again, fearlessly.

"i'm sorry for my inconvenience, but at the moment I have something else to do right now, i'll make up for my mishap as soon as I can." I reply softly with a kind stare.