Watashi kirei?

"Konnichiwa! I am Julia, 17, filipina, and I am an exchange student from Philippines sent here to Tokyo. Hajime mashite, dozo yoroshiku!"

I bowed down in front of my new classmates. The teacher, Ms. Yukari, led me to an empty seat beside a girl with really cute ponytails on her side.

"Hi, I'm Sawada Chiyo, the class president. Welcome to our school. If you have any questions, feel free to approach me.", she smiled and gave me a booklet.

"Uhmm.. What is this?"

"It's a Japanese-English dictionary. I bought it a week ago, I got excited when I heard we're going to have a foreign exchange student. So I thought this would be a good welcoming gift.", I saw how embarassed she is.

"Gee..." I quickly rumaged through the book... "Domo Arigatou"...

She smiled once again as if i have given her a really big favor.

______________________

At lunch, I sat with Chiyo-chan and her friends. One of them mubled something like "Chu-cheesag-own-ah"...

"Chiyo-chan, what did she say?"

"She said that there is a rumor that a "Kuchisake-onna" is reportedly haunting the streets of our village! Be very careful on your way home!"

"What is that?"

"A kuchisake-onna is a ghost of a masked-woman that haunt streets and asks any unsuspecting bypasser "Watashi kirei?" which means "Am I beautiful?". If you say yes, she will remove her mask and ask you again. If you stay calm and still answer yes she will give you a blood-soaked ruby and let you go."

"What happens the other way around?"

"If you scream your head off and run away, she will pursue you and mutilate your face with horrible shears just like what her husband did to her when she became vain of herself."

"What does she look like?"

"Her mouth is slit from ear to ear which made her look like  an animal with a big mouth.

The other girls looked at me with horror. Jeez, I thought our "aswangs' and "tiyanaks" were worse. I never believed on anything though.

______________________

I went home with Chiyo-chan and when we got to the place where we are supposed to part, the streets got foggy.

"Take care of yourself Juriyaa-chan!!!" she waved goodbye to me.

"I will! See you tomorrow!"

As I walked, I felt somebody following me. I looked back but there is nothing. I continued to walk then a lady with thick clothing appeared on the lamp post. I tried to ignore her but she went in front of me and asked me shyingly "Watashi kirei?"

OMG!!! It's a kuchisake-onna!!! I tried to remember the earlier discussion at the canteen. "Ahh.. Err.. Err.." I rumaged again at the dictionary Chiyo-chan gave me "Ahh.. Sumimasen. No wakarimasu.." I waved my hand frantically in front of me, motioning that i don't understand her. I hope it worked.

She looked at me as if I'm some idiot from outer space. I guess I am.

"Sumimasen," she bowed politely then went the other way.

When I thought that she is already far away I let out a heavy sigh of releif. I wiped my forehead where mung beans of sweat has cultivated.

Wait a second, I thought it's summer? Why is she heavily dressed? Whatever.

"Phew, that was close", I composed myself and continue my walk, I'm already close to my dormitory.

I reached my destination, and opened my room. I didn't bothered to open the lights and I tossed my things on the bed. Instead of hearing a soft thump, a large metal klang dropped from the bed. Somebody picked the thing up.

I hurriedly opened the lights thinking it is a robber then I grabbed my mouth at what I saw.....

"Watashi kirei?"

_____________________

nyaaa!!! haroooo!!!! I made a horror story!!! Yayy!!! XD(sense of accomplishment)

tell me in the comment section if it's a good one!!! Ja... C: