Chapter 1: Zach

"The game's isn't over until it's over." Were the exact words running through my mind as we were being murdered 27-5 in my first game of the season for Goodpasture Middle School. The next batter approached the batters box, and I , at third base positioned myself. Yes, third base. Usually , I'd be pitching. But even though I pitched my team to the Little League World Series the past summer, Coach Lopes did not seem to give a shit. Snapping me out of my dream was a ground ball straight to me. Still not recovered from my thoughts, I fumbled, but eventually threw it to first. He was safe, with another potential run to threaten our dignity even more. My arm ached to be throwing nasty curves and unhittable fastballs. Coach called me over, and my excitement rose. To no surprise, though, he positioned me not on the pitchers mound, but to what our school calls "Left Bench".

I sighed, grabbing my water bottle from my bag, and taking my reserved seat. I was here a lot so I got used to it. Ironically enough, my new Mako hung lopsided out of the new Easton gear I got just a few months ago.

It seemed that sometimes, no matter how good you might be, someones always trying to bring you down. Rumors were, Lopes was just super super salty. His son, Lance, had been cut from the All Star team, our team that went all the way. But, I just knew he straight up hated me. 

Tanner and Tyler walked into the dugout, both twins rolling their eyes. 

"3rd game in a row." Tanner threw his catchers gear next to me on the ground.

"Yeah, well it's not getting better from here." Tyler tossed his glove.

"27 to 5." I stated, glumly.

"Bro who's up for some PlayStation after this?" Tyler offered taking a seat next to me.

"That'd be perfect." I agreed, untying my cleats. 

"Sorry, can't." Tanner chimed in.

"Ohhhhhh!" I teased, punching him in the arm.

"He's whipped." Tyler added.

"Shut up already." Tanner tried to keep from smiling, but he just couldn't. 

See, every time we talked about Kayla, and I mean, we didn't even have to mention her name, Tanner couldn't help but smile. Sometimes, I had to smile too, it was good to know that my best friend had someone like that. Others, I was jealous. 

In Williamsport, I had made the  mistake of being way too jealous. Not jealous of him having Kayla, but jealous of him having someone, anyone. The thing was, I had longed for something like that for forever.

"Tayla is real!" I announced as I put on my slides, and gathered my stuff into my bag. The game wasn't over but we obviously were not going back in. And, I had no longer lived by that quote. 27 to 5 is pretty much as over as it can get. 

"Hell yeah it is." Tanner yawned, doing the same as I.

"Bro, you got to come hang with us for once though." Tyler whined.

"Let him be, Ty. Kid's happy as could be." I patted Tanner on the back.

"Didn't think someone could be this happy, actually. I'm heading out, I talked to Coach he told me I could leave early, and frankly if I did leave without telling him, there'd be no difference. See you tomorrow guys." He waved, and walked away.

Tyler and I watched him hop into Mrs. Oden's minivan that awaited him in the parking lot.

"This sucks." Tyler moaned, pulling out his phone.

"Get used to it." I warned, and got my phone as well.

"I think I'm a little too used to it. Anyways, any luck with Jenna lately?" He asked, curiously.

"None." I answered, bitterly. On cue, I opened my messages and she was there. Except she left me on read, the worst she could do to me at this point.

"See, this is why I don't mess with girls." Tyler said proudly.

"Or is it because you just can't get any?" I smirked, jokingly.

"McWilliams should you be talking?" 

"Good point." I noted, "I'm ready to go play some 2k." 

The boys came into the dugout, and we hadn't even realized the game was finally over. We figured we should stay for Lopes speech, but Tyler gave me the look and we sneaked out before anyone could say a word.

I had no interest in playing 2k , I had more of an interest in Jenna answering me. But I figured that was just as likely as Coach Lopes to acknowledge I was alive and had a pulse.