Chapter 1: saturday detention

Brooke's POV

I can't believe this is actually happening to me. I can't believe I managed to get myself into detention two freaking weeks after I started at this school. As if moving away from Chicago wasn't enough, my mum only had to go away on a business trip for 4 weeks leaving me with the twins and her credit card. I shouldn't even be here I mean who holds detention on a Saturday anyway?!

Let me explain. My name is Brooke Davis and I just started my junior year of high school. My dad left when I was 9 just after my mum had my little brother and sister. My mum is the CEO of some massive business but it means she has to move a lot. But when she shipped us off to California with her, the change hit me like a truck. I don't fit in with all the spray tanned bimbos and varsity jocks. Not to mention she had an urgent business call and had to fly to San Francisco for 4 weeks just before the semester began. The only thing I like about California is the beach, but I have no time to go down and surf or sunbathe, I have too much on my hands, courtesy of my mother. I have had to take my 7 year old siblings to school everyday this week, causing me to subsequently be late to school which is how I wound up in detention.

It's now 7.30 and I'm throwing my long brown hair into a messy fishtail braid. I put my oversized blue sweater on and some high waisted dark denim shorts. I grab my phone and rucksack and sling on my burgundy toms before grabbing my penny board and locking the door. My neighbour mrs Jensen said she'd check in on the twins for me at 9 and stay with them until I got back. She was pretty judgemental about the whole detention thing but you can't blame a girl for trying to look after her siblings now can you?!

School was just round the corner so I arrived 5 minutes early, I wasn't gonna arrive to detention the same way I ended up there in the first place, late! I pushed open the door to the library to find 6 pairs of eyes staring at me. Oh great. Just my luck. The 6 guys that I had heard about non stop in the girls bathroom for the past two weeks. They were the talk of the town, or should I say school. The vine famous Nash Grier, Taylor Caniff, Shawn Mendes, Jack Johnson, Jack Gilinsky and how could I forget Cameron Dallas. I mean I guess they were cute, but they did nothing for me. They were arrogant pricks and I didn't want anything to do with them.

I walked past them all to take my seat at a desk on the opposite side of the room. As I did I felt all of their eyes watching me. I sat down and glared at them before turning away and putting my headphones in. R U Mine by Arctic Monkeys came on and I just zoned everything out. Two more girls wandered in and took their seats until finally principal Jeffreys came in and addressed all 9 of us...