Tiger Stripes... By Heaven Broadstone

Skylitte's P.O.V: 

*BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP*  

My alarm went off. It felt like I just went to bed 5 minutes ago. I hit the off button on my alarm. I hesitated to get up and slowly got up when I did. I took a deep breath before standing up to look at my self in the full body mirror behind my bedroom door. My baby blue eyes that were relatively big compared to normal peoples were swollen and looked so small now. Another night full of tears and pain, just like every night for the past 4 years. I looked over at my alarm 5:30am. 40 minutes until I have to leave to start heading to school. Great, another day at school. What a joy. NOT! I got out my white Of Mice & Men shirt that had the lyrics "This is not what it is, Only baby scars, I need your love like a boy needs his mothers side. " on it and my teal checkered print skinny jeans along with some panties and a bra. I grabbed my pink towel and headed for the bathroom across the hall. I set my clothing items on the sink counter and put my towel on the hanger right by the shower. I started to get undressed when I heard someone in the kitchen. Quickly locked the door so no one could get in. It may be just my brother or something but just in case. I started the shower and stepped in. I took my loofah  and poured my burnt brown sugar scented body wash on it and scrubbed my body then I went and took my suave black berry tea scented shampoo and conditioner and washed my hair. After that I just stood there in the warm water. When I finally got out I blow dried my blonde hair with fringe bangs and did my make up. I teased my hair just a little bit not to much because I wasn't in the mood to before getting dressed. I went back to my room and put on my black high top converse and grabbed my owl book bag and keys. Time to head to school. I walked out of my room and there stood my 4 year old little brother in footie pajamas, Morrison. I faked a smile like I always do in front of him. "Well good morning Morrison." I sang. "Morningggg Skylitteaaa. Do you have to go to school today?" He asked adding 3 A's onto my name. "Yes baby doll I have to. If you want sissy to get a good job that is." I answered. He looked down at his toes and then back up at me. "But if you stay home we can watch cartoons. That Courage the Cowardly Dog show is on today." He told me with sad eyes and a puppy face. "Baby I have too I'll be back at 3 okay?" I Informed him. "Awe okay. I see you later." He said so soft and fragile it would break the hearts of many. I kissed his cheeks and sent him off to play with toys as I slid out the door. 

The car ride to school wasn't so bad not much traffic today. I saw kids huddled in groups scattered all around. I gripped my steering wheel tight. I didn't want  to get out of my truck just yet. I knew I had to eventually though. No better time than the present. right? I grabbed my hoodie and my bag and took the keys out of the ignition and opened my candy blue Ford F150's door and jumped out. My 5'2" height made it nearly impossible to just step out. I started to walk towards the dreaded building. I went straight to my locker and didn't stop to talk to anyone yet. But that was about to change as I put my books in my locker and took some out. The boy who has the locker next to mine was getting frustrated because his locker wasn't opening so I decided to help him. "Do you needs some help with that?" I asked. He nodded "Yeah..I do." He replied. "Whats your combination?" I asked putting the dial back to 0. "25-7-33 I believe" He informed me. I twisted and felt the knob tense up so I pulled on it and it opened. "Wow. Thanks doll face. I'm Justin by the way." He thanked me. "Skylitte." I sighed. "That's a pretty name. I've never heard of that one before." He told me I started to walk to class. "Yup." I said back. He started to walk with me and he actually seemed pretty nice. Now it makes me wonder why I never talked to him before. I seen him around so many times before, at my locker or in the hallways. Hmm...

The school day went by really fast and before I knew it the final bell rang and I found my self walking to my truck. Home here I come. I couldn't wait to be home. I hated school, granted I hated home too but not at much as school. At least at school I knew I had a place to escape from the problems. When I got home almost immediately when I shut my truck door little Morrison was running towards me and hugging my legs. I looked around and it seemed no one was home. Why would they leave him by himself. Hes only 4 years old. I guess I'll have to talk to my parents about this later. "Well hello there little one." I greeted him trying to smile. He looked up at me with a huge smile on his face from ear to ear. "C'mon little man lets go watch some cartoons." I said trying to get him off of my legs and also to get him to go on in and maybe fall asleep watching cartoons. When we went inside I set my bag on the dinning room table and sat with Morrison. I was surprised to see what Morrison had put on the tv. It was the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. I hadn't seen this show in years. It never came on anymore. We watched a few episodes before little Morrison fell asleep next to me. I slowly go up trying not to wake him and went to start on dinner and get my homework done. 

I heard some keys jingle at the door and the door open just as I was setting the table for everyone to eat at. My mom walked in along with my dad. My dad just went straight to his and my moms room but my mom went and sat with my baby brother. "Dinners ready whenever you guys want to eat." I informed her. "Okay." She replied. She woke up Morrison and got my dad out of the room as we all sat down to eat. While eating I thought this would be the best time to ask about why they left Morrison alone. " So when I came home no one but Morrison was home. Why did you guys leave him alone? Hes 4 years old you can't do that." I told them. "We left you alone all the time." Was my moms reply to me. "That's not the same. You left me alone when I was 13 which is normal age for kids to start being alone. I'm 17 now and I've been alone since then. You come home and you act like every things fine but its not! I have to practically raise Morrison. Hes not MY kid to raise! Hes yours!" I argued. My dads hand flew across my face just as I finished saying what I needed to say and I fell to the floor from the chair. The ring on his finger had cut my face I had guessed because I had felt warm liquid running down my cheek. I held my cheek for a moment as my dad started screaming at me. When I looked at my hand I saw blood. I stood up and ran to my room. My dad was following me. Once I shut my door he started banging on it. I didn't know what to do so I just sat against my door with my knees against my chest.