Chapter I: Dragontail

I have seen the sun rise for the first time, and saw the moon glow in the dark skies. I have seen kings rise and others fall, I have seen darkness in the brightest smiles and fear in a demon's eyes. I have seen a man wake the dead, and saw monsters grow in the kindest souls. I have seen much and done more, for with my hands and my words I shaped the fate of the world.

Thousands of years ago, when men lived long and fought for land and dominion, when wizards were feared and despised, when giants and dwarves shared one land, the years of deception when perjurers were trusted, when the traitors were entrusted and when vile Lords ruled over all, in a land far to the west, was the great kingdom of Leidir, renowned for its unequalled strongholds, the beauty of its lands and wildlife exceeded by far all the realms surrounding it. It was the strongest and wealthiest kingdom in the west continent of Eigria -which, in the old tongue of Men, means Treacherous. Farther to the western south of the capital of Leidir, where the weather is warmer and pleasant, stood the great town of Dragontail. The last town south of the kingdom. All the houses were grey, many claim it is dragon ash. In fact, Dragontail was once a town of dragon slayers, when the winged giants lived nearby, but that was hundreds of years ago. Dragons left further south in the wild deserted mountains. The few that remained in the enchanted grey forest Hamu, were later slaughtered by the few dragon slayers that remained in business. Dragontail was at peace for many years later.

There lived Helain Silverfang son of Ralnor son of the infamous Igor the Untouched. Helain was almost as great as his grandfather, whilst his father was one of the many blacksmiths in the town. He was tall and strong. He was a great warrior and the pride of his family and town, he married the daughter of Gormog Stormscar, Olum the Cursed. She was not only beautiful but brave and strong. Raised in a family of dragon slayers, in her sixteenth birthday, she killed her first wingless-dragon and gained her title. An old witch lived in the grey forest with the dragon, and blinded with grief she cursed her. "Beshrew you! You are forever cursed for your misdeed! You have slaught'r'd this holy creature with bitter cold blood! May your soul never find peace! Hear this and bear it still! I am Massin, I am the moon's jointress! Weilder of the Obsidian Heart of oracles! Many wars you will square and win, but you shall kick the bucket in a battlefield white as snow, you will be best dressed in red at which hour your first issue will crawl back to your belly from where it once came!" Shouted the witch at Olum who was drunk in joy, celebrating her first successful hunt with her two brothers. They didn't pay any mind to the witch and threw rocks at her. They laughed and celebrated as she disappeared, with tears in her eyes, in the gloom of the grey forest. Years later, Olum the Cursed, married Helain Silverfang. She was eighteen, he was twenty three. Their love was strong and gotten stronger with every passing year. Both of them were often called upon by the great king Vamir to lead his armies along with other greater infamous warriors.

The Kingdom of Leidir was in war with several kingdoms in the continent, but the greatest enemity against Leidir was held by the Haxurid empire.

"No matter how good the cook is, a rat in the kitchen will always ruin his porridge. No matter how strong a kingdom is, one turncloak in the castle and we're all porridge ." King Vamir feared the Haxurid the most, dangerous people, notorious assassins and spies.

Silverfang and Olum won many wars together, they were the heroes of their town, and that, didn't please much their chieftain who was envious of their success. Karver the Bear, was named warden of Dragontail by the king himself. An authority he never expected, his father was warden before him, until he was murdered. He was very proud and condescending about it which made him think of Helain and his wife as a threat to his authority. To get rid of the couple of warriors, he sent both of them in a false quest, further in the south, in the forsaken lands of Gulgoloth, to bring him the legendary jewel of Ankros.