Day on the Job

"Who wants to work this time's party catering?" says my boss with an aggravating tone. No one wants to work at some girl's 17th birthday party. A silence filled the meeting room. "No one?" I didn't want to do this, but I spoke up. I'm a broke college student. I need this money.

"Great. Well they need you from 12-4pm. Got it, Avia?" So. I work at Starbucks. Have been for almost 2 years. I started working here as a Junior in high school. Being a college student, I needed this job. The house I'm catering for happens to be from a rich family. If I do my job above and beyond, I may even get a bonus.

--- Saturday, 11:30am ---

I pulled into the driveway of the house. This is exactly what I expected and more. White house, green lawn, tall gates, and a door twice my height. Well this is something. I step up to the entrance with my equipment and apron. I ring the doorbell and patiently await for the door to open. A tall man open the door and invited me in.

"Good morning. Thanks for being here, I'm Jeff. I'll take you to where you'll be working." He takes me to the back of the house to the yard. It was huge. It included a pool, open grass area, tables, chairs, a bar area, a DJ booth, and a huge banner that hung in the trees that said "Happy 17th Birthday Kayla!" across it in big letters.

"This is our bar, set up anyway you like. You can store whatever you need into the mini fridge there. Also, let me know if you need anything." I thanked him and he walked away. I start the setup with putting all the cool ingredients into the mini fridge, plug in the mixer/blender, line the cups up, and put my apron on with my name tag. The party will start anytime now.

--- Saturday, 1:00pm ---

"Hi there, what can I get you?" I say as I clear the counter. This job is actually going great. 50-80 people fill the yard and I have people all lined up in front of the bar. I was so caught up being busy and all. "Uhmmm. Can I get two tall iced Caramel Macchiatos?" "Yeah of course! What are the names?" "Kayla and Grayson." I looked up to see a tall guy with brown hair, brown eyes, a hat worn backwards, with a huge smile on his face. I caught eye contact with him for five seconds. He chuckled and smiled with a confused gesture. "Oh. Sorry about that." I say as I quickly and awkwardly turn around. I grab two cups, write the names down, and start making the drinks. "Here you go" I handed him the drinks. "Thanks." He said and walked towards the birthday girl who happened to be glaring at me. I don't know this guy, but I had a feeling in me that I never felt before. As the day went on, not gonna deny that I was looking at him.

The day is over. I get home, and walk in to see my Siberian Husky pup prance towards me. "Hey Jovi!" I pick her up to embrace her. "I missed you bud!" Her pure white fur surrounds my face. I put her down to get out of my uniform and put on regular clothes. I get the hair tie out of my wavy brown hair. I sit down on my couch to watch TV with Jovi snuggled up next to my lap. As per usual I put on Empire, because it's my all time favorite show. Tuesday is when I'm gonna go back to work.

--- Tuesday 10:00am ---

"So how was catering yesterday?" Asked my co-worker and friend, Jessie. "It was good. Interesting." I say as I restock the straws. "Interesting? Interesting how?" "Nothing specific..." I say turning around slowly as I see her with the biggest smile ever. "You met someone didn't you!?" "Maybe." I've never seen Jessie this happy before. "Hey, we got a customer, can you get this one while I get more ice?"