Be Careful Who You Fall For

It's a slightly chilly morning in December. It has just been 5 minutes since the opening of our cafè today so we still don't have hungry customers, who are mostly impatient to be served, yet. Our customers are usually like that during mornings, probably because a lot of them are running late or are just grumpy when they're still feeling drowsy.

That means I still have time to chill. I'm currently sitting on my usual seat in the counter with my earphones plugged in my ears while I listen to "Let it Die" by Three Day Grace. I'm in love with the vocalist's raspy voice.

I was already playing an air guitar and headbanging when our first customer for today stepped inside and walked directly to the counter. As quick as a cheetah, I removed my earphones and rose up from my chair to get our customer's order.

"A French toast and a cup of espresso please." he ordered. His voice is as raspy as the vocalist of Three Day Grace. He just made a pretty good first impression.

I processed his order and watched him as he went from me to my co-worker to claim his breakfast. He is good-looking as well.

He's wearing a My Chemical Romance shirt under a blue flannel jacket matched with black jeans and a pair of black combat boots. Judging by his fashion sense, I can guess what type of songs his playlist include.

Damn, I suddenly became curious about him and I just want to get to know him right now. Too bad, I never flirt. I don't know how to and I am too shy to do it.

I have had a lot of crushes but I've never had a boyfriend or even a fling. Not because I'm a horrendously ugly duckling though, at least my family and friends say so. I just have high standards and my ideal guy is a bookworm with the same taste of music as me. Our first customer has already checked one box from my 'Characteristics of my Ideal Guy' list.

I've been laying my eyes on him for quite a few minutes already. My eyes suddenly drifted from him to the ceiling when he looked at me and caught me staring at him. After a few seconds, I stared at him again and felt myself blush when I saw him looking back at me. He surprisingly smiled and stopped looking at me to continue eating his French toast. I felt my face getting warm.

He then opened his backpack and pulled out a paperback book. I tried to get a glimpse of the title. I became surprised when I realized that it's "The Kill Order", a book from my favorite series which is "The Maze Runner." I'm pretty sure he's a bookworm. Two boxes checked.

• • •

The next day, he's at the cafè again. Great! I couldn't stop thinking about him last night and wishing that I'd get to see him again. I really want to be friends with this guy.

"Can't stop checking him out?" Pat, my co-worker, suddenly asked me. I'm dead.

"Oh shut up. I'm not checking him out." I lied. I can't tell her what I have in mind. She may be a fun friend to have but when her ears are fed with secrets, her mouth then spits them all out.

"Yeah, you are! He checks you out, too. I'm an observer." she said. I blushed when I heard that.

"Really? You're lying."

"No, I ain't. You like him, admit it! I can see it from your face, Tori. You can't lie to me. You should talk to him and flirt."

Even though she can already guess it, I really don't want to admit that I'm interested with the guy. She might even embarrass me in front of him. She always does it to people.

"Stop it, will you?" I demanded.

"What a shy potato. You're gonna thank me later." she replied.