" It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me. "

-

I stood in the crowd, watching as King Uther made his speech against magic, the same one he made before every execution of someone believed to have been conspiring to use sorcery. 

"Let this serve as a lesson to all. This man, Thomas James Collins, is adjudged guilty of conspiring to use enchantments and magic. And, pursuant to the laws of Camelot, I, Uther Pendragon, have decreed that such practices are banned on penalty of death. I pride myself as a fair and just king, but for the crime of sorcery, there is but one sentence I can pass." Uther declared, raising his arm, then lowering it, signalling for the executioner to behead Thomas. As soon as it happened a loud gasp made its way through the crowd. 

"When I came to this land, this kingdom was mired in chaos, but with the people's help magic was driven from the realm. So I declare a festival to celebrate twenty years since the Great Dragon was captured and Camelot freed from the evil of sorcery. Let the celebrations begin." Uther declared. I looked around. The penalty for using magic was death, and though I wouldn't ever admit it, it made me very uncomfortable. Suddenly a woman rushed over to where Thomas laid dead. 

"There is only one evil in this land, and it is not magic! It is you! With your hatred and your ignorance! You took my son! And I promise you, before these celebrations are over, you will share my tears. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a son for a son." The woman wailed. Uther grew angry and looked to his guards.

"Seize her!" He demanded, causing his guards to run after her, but before they could get to her she disappeared in a whirl of wind and smoke. 

-

I stood out in the town, finding some way to entertain myself when I heard Arthur yelling at his servant, like always. 

"I told you to keep moving!" Arthur demanded, throwing a dagger at the terrified boy. I rolled my eyes at him, wishing I could stop him, but with our social classes, that'd get me killed. So I looked down, not wanting to see any more.Then I heard a new voice.

"Hey, come on, that's enough." The voice demanded, causing me to look up. The guy had brown hair and brown eyes and he was stepping on the shield that Morris was previously holding to protect himself from Arthur's daggers. Arthur raised his eyebrows at him. 

"What?" He asked, shocked that anyone would talk that way to his majesty.

"You've had your fun my friend." The new guy announced, coming off as brave as well as extremely stupid. 

"Do I know you?" Arthur asked, seeming offended.

"Er, I'm Merlin." 'Merlin' announced, holding his hand out to Arthur.

"So I don't know you." Arthur observed, ignoring Merlin's hand completely. 

"No." Merlin agreed. 

"Yet you called me friend." Arthur pointed out. Merlin nodded in apology.

"That was my mistake." He admitted.

"Yes, I think so." Arthur smirked, thinking he won most likely. 

"Yeah. I'd never have a friend that could be such an ass." Merlin remarked, causing me to let out a chuckle, before quickly catching myself, not wanting Arthur to know that I was laughing at him. Merlin started walking away, but Arthur had to have the last word.