Chapter One

Sighing, she decided to finally get out of bed. It was Saturday and it was always easy to sleep in but she had work. Moaning, Ruth stretched her stiff limbs and proceeded to her bathroom. Her apartment was small and everything was crushed together; the bedroom and bathroom were next door to the other. Down a short hall and to the right was her kitchen that was meant for only one person at a time; to the left was her living room which was nothing to brag about and not big enough for having people over to hang out. Yawning, she stripped out of her Tweety shorts and tank top then jumped into a quick shower.

    Ruth Evergreen had lived in North Carolina most of her twenty-two years on earth. Located in the city of Raleigh, she lived only two hours from the nearest beach but she wished to live farther away. Since an incident from her childhood, she had a fear of drowning so staying away from deep water was her only solution. Friends always nagged her to come with them to the ocean but she would decline each time with a pain in her heart. She wanted to go but she couldn't; this fear was too strong. Some called it silly since she could just stay in the shallow water but she couldn't bring herself to do even that. She just didn't like water.

     Slipping into her work clothes she quickly dried her short black hair, put in her contacts, and was out the door. In the process of looking for a new job, she was forced to remain at Burger King. The only reason she liked working there was because her best friend, Gwen worked there as well. The two women could talk about anything which is always nice to have someone that you can share secret things with. Most say that girls mature faster than men but with these two there was an exception; they would crack quiet jokes about people coming and going at the restaurant and they were known for being the biggest goof-offs at the job.

    Ruth walked out to the parking garage and passed a man lighting a cigarette,

"Morning Ruth."

"Morning Sam. I thought you said you were quitting?" Shrugging he smiled slightly,

"It was calling me."

"You could get lung cancer or something from those you know."

"That's what they say." Exchanging smiles, she said a quick bye, started her car, and pulled out. The streets were quiet like they always were at 9:03 A.M. She turned right, flipping on the radio. Grimacing when country came on, she quickly turned to another station until she was satisfied with the music.

    It only took her fifteen minutes to arrive. With a sigh, she grabbed for her purse but remembered that she forgot it at home. Muttering a grumpy comment she locked her car and headed in. Almost immediately she was greeted with a hug from Gwen.

"Hey girl, how are you doing?"

"Could be better." Gwen looked at her with wide eyes.

"Why not? What's wrong?"

"I didn't sleep very well...I keep having this weird dream that makes me wake up in the middle of the night in a sweat." Her friend was about to ask what it was but they were cut off by their manager, Devin.

"Ladies, this is a working place not a chat room."

"He's moody today." Commented Ruth; Gwen shrugged in response.   

     Before she left for the day, Ruth received a tap from Gwen.

"Want to hang?"

"Where?"

"How about Starbucks?"

"Sure." They took Ruth's car and rode a block away to a small but still nice Starbucks. Gwen tried switching on country music as a joke but Ruth firmly dominated the radio. Both climbed from the low car seats and strolled into the building. Gwen ordered a simple mocha iced coffee while Ruth got a salted caramel latte with whip cream and chocolate drizzled on top. They took a seat in the back to have some privacy.