The power of Memories

Marrian started to draw her surroundings. Then she heard her mother call her and immediately went to her.

"Mother? What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong, dear," Marrian's mother replied. "Me and your father are just going to go to another kingdom and have a royal meet-up. While we're gone, can you lead the kingdom for a while? It'll be appreciated."

Marrian sighed. "Are you going already? I'm not ready for this!" She exclaimed.

"Yes you are. You're 19 already!" The queen looked at the time. "Oh my, oh me! It's getting late, I better go, so will your father. Bye, Sweetie!"

"B-bye mom! I'll miss you!"

Her mother smiled and walked away.

Marrian sighed. This was a lot of responsibilities.
~·~·~·~·~·~·
A few days have past, and everything was well. The security was high, there was rich harvest and the citizens of Meinori were glad. And Meinori was the name of the kingdom. Marrian was sure everything was fine, until. . .

"Ma'am! The Gem of Meinori! It's gone!"

Marrian gasped and stood up in an instant and went into the Treasure Room that only the royal family knew about it's whereabouts. She entered the Treasure Room, the butler was right. . . It was gone. The pedestal once holding the Gem of Meinori was empty.

Marrian cursed under her breath and ran to her room. Then she wrote to her mom :

Dear Mother,
I'm very sorry to inform you that the Gem of Meinori is missing. I am trying my best to find the culprit and restore the gem back to where it belongs. I hope you come back soon.
                                    Truly yours,
                               Your daughter,
                                     Marrian

She folded the letter and handed it to a maid and told her to send it to her mother using a pigeon. The maid did so.
·~·~·~·~
A few weeks passed and Marrian was in the library, spending all her days researching about who could have possibly stolen the gem.

Fin Kyle
Age : 34

Appearance : usually wears a black hoodie and everything black. That is all we know.

Why suspected : he has always wanted to steal the gem and posses it. He was able to steal it once but he fell from the South Gate and the guards caught him.

"Guards!" Marrian shouted.

Guards came running in.

"Arrest Fin Kyle this instant. He needs to answer some questions. Search his house too."

The guards nodded and went.away. After a bit of reading, a maid came in with worried eyes.

"What's the matter, Ella?" Marrian asked the maid who was named Ella.

"The pigeon. . . It came back with the letter still in the bag. I don't think it was delivered to the queen, m'lady."

Marrian's eyes' opened widely. "I want patrols running in the forest. We need to find them!" Marrian exclaimed as Ella nodded and walked away.

Marrian went to Fin's prison cell and started asking him questions. But she knew he wasn't the one who stole the gem.
Two hours later. . .

"Ugh . . . I know it isn't Fin. We've searched his house and everything he possess. What is this nonsense!?" Marrian said to herself.

"Ma'am, we've located an area where they've been." A guard said.

"Okay. Search that area. I'll be doing research."

Marrian went back into the library. She looked through all of the bookshelves and books. But nothing can be found. Where was her parents? She was in dire need of an answer.

"M-ma'am. . . We found your parents. . ." A maid said.

Marrian rejoiced. "Oh, wow!!"

"But. . ."

Marrian froze. "But. . . What?"

"They didn't know anything. Their memories were wiped out. They didn't know who they were, why they were there, and what a kingdom is and. . . Who Marrian was."

Marrian gasped. "No, no, no, no! My mom was the only person in the world that loves me sooo much! My father didn't love me as much as my mom! And now he's gone?" Marrian said, tears starting to roll down her eyes.

"I'm very sorry, ma'am but-"

"This cannot be!" Marrian said. "Please leave me alone for a moment I. . . I need to think things through."

The maid nodded and walked away.

Marrian fell on her knees and cried, "why?! I have failed them by losing the Gem of Meinori and now this?! Their gone!"

Marrian's personal maid went in, but when she saw Marrian, she knelt down beside her.

"Are you okay, your highness?"

"N-no. . . Are they really gone?"

The maid gulped. "T-the doctor told me that the king and queen would soon pass away. Maybe tomorrow. It was caused by brain cells exploding. Then suddenly their hearts' slowed, and then eventually stop and they will. . ."

"Die." Marrian finished. The maid nodded as Marrian burst into tears.

"You know, memories are the most powerful thing you have. When you remember the happy times you had with your family, you feel happy."

After the small chat the two had, Marrian locked herself in her room, weeping day and night.

Weeks later. . .

Weeks have passed and Marrian was still in her room and hasn't come out yet. Her maids brought her food but she would never leave.

She cried and cried until she couldn't take it no more.

Then a guard with an angry expression came in.

"Ma'am, your cousin turned the gem invisible as a trick. She played tricks ma'am."

Suddenly Marrian felt mad. She felt like a failure and the truth was she wasn't and her parents are gone. Although she felt mad, she felt pain in her heart after losing her parents, like a sting of a bee and a prick of a thorn.
But she just couldn't get mad.

"Please call the wizard and turn it visible again. Don't inform me, I need privacy."

The guard nodded and left.

Then she remembered what the maid said. She remembered the time when she and her mother played in the leaves in autumn when she was little. Then she smiled. The maid was right, it did make her feel better.

Then she realized, that her parents were always in her heart even if they were gone in reality. She smiled.

"I'll avenge them next time. For now, I need to lead the kingdom for this is what mother said, and father. This would make them happy if they were here."

To be continued. . . .

·~·~·~·~·~

Hello everyone. Did this teach you something? It pained me to write this, with my besties.

Hope you enjoyed. Part 2 will be coming soon. I just wanted to share this short and sad story that me and my friends wrote. See you!!