One of His Angels

• Dedicated to Imperyong Four-one

One of His Angels

by: witch_lanie

This is my first english story... Sorry for the grammar :)

Hope you like it!!!

I remember that day… It was raining really hard and I don’t have my umbrella with me. It doesn’t even bother me whether my things inside my bag will get wet. I don’t even care if I am going to graduate or not anyway and I always cut class. I just attended school today because we have our basketball practice today.

It is already six in the evening but still, I don’t have a plan to go home yet… oh wait, do I have a home? Or should I ask, “do I even have those people who can I call family so that I can call our house a home when I get there?” well, for me it is just more like a house.

A house where you can hear a man and a woman shouting at each other, not even knowing that their son is already home, cold and very wet. This is not a shock for me, it always happens again and again, and because of that, I ended up hating to go home… ended up hating them.

Whenever I witness this miserable scene, I’ll just put my bag away, change my clothes and leave this house again. I don’t want to go to the computer shop because I don’t have a knack to play computer games. They’ll just going to call me “weak”, the term that they are using when somebody looses a game, so better not to enter that shop. I just keep on walking on the pavements with a umbrella in my hand thinking where should I go.

Suddenly, someone just popped out in my mind. I don’t know why but my feet just brought me here… inside the church. Well, I have no choice but to knell, put my hands together and pray to God. Wishing for a better life, not a miserable one, not like this.

Then after praying, someone just tapped my back. I saw her twinkling eyes and smiley face as I look up to her, then I smiled back. She’s one of my friends, my only true friend actually.

I told her that I left the house because I am just going to get irritated when I stayed there for the next three minutes of my life. She’s been my childhood friend since kindergarten and until now, she’s always here whenever I need a shoulder and a friend to talk to. She’s the most wonderful, amazing, intelligent, pretty and kind person that I’ve met in my life.

I even courted her when we were in 3rd year high school but thanks to her, we still have our friendship today because she refused to be my girlfriend. She even told me that she preferred to be my friend girl than to be my girlfriend which I realized was much better.

As we enter their house, which you can call a “home” actually, she gave me a cup of coffee and baked cookies. As I sip my coffee, she sat down and just stared at me. I was conscious that time and ask her why is she looking at me like that.

She just smiled and asked, “What if one day, you’ll found out that I am already gone? I kept on thinking what will be your reaction.”

I just laughed so hard and told her that her joke is a silly one, but she just rolled her eyes and told me that she is serious. Upon looking at her, I was shocked because I saw tears running down her eyes, I sensed something bad.

I sat beside her, patted her back and told her not to cry. I even asked her why is she crying and she is okay, yeah I know, I am a fool to asked such obvious question like that.

She wiped her tears and faced me. “You know what? I have a heart disease since we are on grade school, sorry for not telling you”, then I replied,”If that’s the case, then you should see a doctor and tell him to treat you”.

She closed her eyes and shook her head. “it is in its final stage, it is not curable”.

She even told me that she’s not going to make it to our graduation day. The disease is killing her slowly, making her body weaker day by day. Then tears flowed down into my cheeks. I don’t even know when is the last time that I cried. I hugged her tightly, knowing that I am going to loose her, my one and only best friend.

A friend who showed me the beauty of the world it possesses despite of its darkness. The one who taught me the importance of life even it is full of disappointments.

I don’t want her to leave me, not now that I needed someone to hold on to, but everything has changed. She needed me more that I need her.

She held my hands and told me that she has a wish that she wanted… to promise her that whatever happens, I am going to graduate high school. I sincerely looked at her and said, “I promise”.

The graduation day is the happiest and at he same time, the saddest part of my life. Happy, because I had my diploma and I can go to any college or university that I want. I even have my parents with me. Very sad, because that day was the day of her death. I know that from somewhere, she’s looking at me, proud and happy because I granted her wish.

That was five years ago...

I am now here in front of her mound where her body lies.

Today is her birthday and also my flight day to other country because of my job. I am now a certified architect. I just wanted to thank her for what she have done to me especially when she was still alive.

Telling me not to give up even if every one is bringing you down, that there is always hope and we have a loving God, watching us, guiding us. And now, I am thankful to God for lending me one of His angels...

The End...