Chapter 1

Sometimes it was hard being different. Lady Florence was no stranger to people calling her exotic, new, or unconventional. She knew that the people of Kent always looked down on her as she walked through the streets with her mother.

And who could blame them? Her mother was known as the doll of Kent when she was younger with her big blue eyes and long curly blonde hair. Her father, the Earl of Kent, had been the perfect partner for her mother as well being with his contrasting dark looks and features and they were both so very young still.

Florence looked at herself in the mirror and all she say was dark brown eyes with flecks of gold in them with a golden complexion to match. Her black tresses were much longer than her mother's but how would she ever compete with all the fair-skinned girls that were scattered among the country.

Her parents had always told her how they'd fallen in love with her as they fell in love with the beauty of home country India and how excited they had been when the adoption papers were set.

Yet, she felt as though they were the only ones who saw some beauty in her while the rest of Kent tried to like her to appeal to her parents.

Florence knew that the boys that hovered near her stables were only hoping to snatch up her grandly sized dowry whenever they could find the chance.

That's why she longed to go to the city of London. The city where all the styles from Paris just recently arrived, where girls left their lovers kisses on their handkerchiefs, and where she would be able to blend in.

Her mother told her that she had to wait. Florence could not wait any longer in her suffocating town where people judges as easily as they took in air.

The Lady of Kent however knew that her daughter had filled her head with very romantic notions of the city and that if she did not wait until she was old enough to handle the good and the bad of the season.

"Ruth! Oh Ruth why were you so late today coming in for tea?"

"Wait until you hear my news Flora you will not be able to sit down at all!"

"Well hurry up with the suspense do not keep it from me!"

"My aunt is taking me to this year's Season with her! Oh the glamour the people the dresses and the men..." Ruth twirled around in exhilaration as the thoughts kept flowing out from her, as Flora tried to mask her disappointment at seeing yet another one of her close friends move on towards her lady life.

"Oh Flora ask your mother to let you come with me just for one week so you can waltz away the nights with me and gossip about the splendor of the city! You must, absolutely must ask her, oh can you just picture it! The two girls from Kent...."

Flora quickly started planning a way to ask her mother in her head but knew that her requests would probably be shut down.

"I could ask Ruth, but you know Mother, she always says she knows best for me and would not even let me get the question out! Oh, it is like she always knows what I am about to ask her!" Florence quickly saw her fantasies about spending a wonderful week with Ruth melt away.

"Oh Flora but I must go about packing you know how it is with all the dresses, shoes, and accessories! My aunt did say that she would be buying a few more gowns for me though that are styled in the Parisian fashion once we arrive in London. I absolutely cannot look out of date amongst all those city folk during the season!

Please ask your mother though about you accompanying me on this trip just for a week!"

"I wish Ruth, I sincerely do. I mean picture the smashing entrance the both of us would make! You with your darling ruby red hair and me with my dark tones! I bid you farewell for now and will let you know if anything new arises!"

~~~~~~~During Dinner that Night~~~~~~~

"Father, Mother, there was something that I wanted to ask you. Right now as you both seem to be in a good mood."

Her father who had been animatedly talking to her mother curiously glanced towards Flora.

"What is it Flora? You have seemed to be out of sorts ever since your meeting today with Ruth. Is there something amiss?"

"No, I mean there is, but I hope you and mother would understand why it matters so much to me you know? I just hope either of you try not to interrupt my conversation until I've said my piece. Please? Just this once."

Her mother frowned worriedly, " I always knew that it was wrong of you to be spending so much time with Laura's daughter. That girl always seems so fanciful with her head in the clouds. Well you have certainly captured our attention now Flora. Go on then"

"Well you see Ruth's aunt is taking her out to the Season and shesaidthatshewouldtakemewithherifyouagreedtoo and it would just be for a week!"

"Out to the Season!"

"Absolutely not"

Both of her parents were once again adamant in the resolute answers the responded with every time she mentioned of going.

"Just think about it through my eyes, once I go just for a week and come back I won't be as excited and will be able to wait for a year when you actually want me to go. It will just be like an appetizer, and it will keep me satiated enough to wait for the main course.

I have not asked for much ever in my 18 years and what I have not asked for, as my parents you have freely given.

Please sleep upon my request and give me an answer tomorrow morning."

Florence decided that it was best to leave it at that as she excused herself from the table.

~~~~~~~~Before Bed~~~~~~~~

Rose put down her spectacles as her husband walked into their bedroom.

"What do you think Edward? Should we let her go already? Why do you think Flora wishes to escape us so soon?

I mean once she attends the Season she will be grasped up in seconds by men wishing to marry her. I mean I can just picture the long lines of men standing outside your office door to ask for your approval.

She is my little flower. Do you think she is not happy with us? Oh I knew we should have never adopted a child, we were never meant to be fit parents that is why God had never given me the chance to conceive. We should have never brought her here, I thought she was happy with us. Oh, Edward I really love her so much, since the day I saw her as a little girl."

Edward could immediately feel his wife's anguish about his little flower blossoming so soon. He had expected the day to come but hearing it from his Florence struck him hard as well.

"Rose, I think she just wants some change. We may love her and her us but she wishes to escape the gilded cage we have put her in. Have you noticed the way everyone in Kent treats when they know we are not around? Maybe once she gets a little taste for the city she would be willing to come back to us. And, you must remember dear, if your mother had not dragged you out to the Season I would have never met you, and my life would have remained unfulfilled."

"Are you saying we let her go with Ruth's aunt? I mean I feel as if I should accompany her and show her the ins and outs of the Season oh I do not even know this aunt!"

"Then you go with her, and if you wait until the third week of the Season that should be prime time to take Flora out. The masquerade galas are occurring that week and Flora shall be able to look into society while staying shielded from it. The three weeks should also ensure that you are prepared for your trip and that you can have your gowns fashioned in the latest styles."

"Oh Edward you are right! That would be such a perfect time to show Flora around and the ballrooms are just magnificent during the masquerade balls. Oh now I absolutely cannot wait!"