Prologue

"She wasn't what I expected at all."

A man, roughly in his early 40's, sat solemnly in a dark, technology-ridden padded room. In front of him was a dark mirror, reflecting his teary-eyed expression to the unseen figures across the slate. His hair was scruffy and unkempt, like he hadn't washed it in days. His foot tapped the ground repeatedly, to his watchers annoyance.

"Care to be anymore specific, Quill?"  A woman sighed.

Behind the screen were two menacing figures. Or aliens, rather. Either way, they were all quite menacing.

The man in the chair glanced up, and looked back down. "I meant, Ana didn't look like I expected her to when she was born." He ran a shaky hand through his hair. "Maryne was different, I knew that. It's just... I'm only half alien. We both thought that even if Mar was alien, she wouldn't look too bad—"

"How is any of that relevant, Peter?" The woman's harsh voice shouted. Peter winced at her words. "Your daughter, that thing, may be guarding this dimension. But you of all people know that she's going to kill us all."

"It's not her fault!" Peter screamed. The chair was knocked away by his rage. "It's not her fault she was born. It's not her fault she's like this. It's mine."

"Freaking right it's yours," a little figure tartly replied. "Maybe if you weren't so stupid, maybe she wouldn't have been born. Maybe she would have met all these people that's leading to everyone. Getting. Destroyed."

"I swear you intergalactic trash panda, if you don't shut your mouth—"

"Both of you shut up!" The woman yelled. "We've already lost two people because of Ana. I'm not letting anymore people die because of petty actions."

Peter started to cry. "She's... she's just a kid, Gam."

"No," the woman replied darkly. "She's a monster."