Chapter One Definition of Religious Extremism

Religious Extremism by Nwoko, Solomon Ikechukwu

Copyright © 2016
Pastor, Nwoko S. O. Ikechukwu
Apart from citation or reference, no part of this book may be reproduced, store in a retrieved system or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission from the author.

Definition of religious extremism
Extremism is a complex phenomenon, although its complexity is often hard to see. Most simply, it can be defined as activities (beliefs, attitudes, feelings, actions, strategies) of a character far removed from the ordinary. In conflict settings it manifests as a severe form of conflict engagement. However, the labeling of activities, people, and groups as "extremist", and the defining of what is "ordinary"
According to Nwoko, Solomon Ikechukwu, Religious Extremism is a fanatical approach to religion; that is, taking religious beliefs more than ordinary or necessary. It is beliefs that lead people into terroristic attack on others, killing, causing conflict and war hiding behind religion. It is in addition, the act of being more religious than God and trying to take the place of God in executing "Jungle Justice".
A religious extremist is a fanatic, that is, one who has an extreme, irrational, false or erroneous zeal in a religious belief or doctrine.

Causes of Religious Extremism
There are factors that lead to religious extremism, they includes:
1. Erroneous doctrine, dogma and misconception about the person of God.
2. Misunderstanding of the teachings and doctrines of religious founders, religious bodies, leaders and teachers.
3. Religious different Sentimental beliefs about who God is and what God want and how and where to approach Him.
4. Fear of loosing respect, profit (money and wealth) and value from adherents.
5. Fear not to loose members of the religion, among others.

Effects of Religious Extremism
Since 2001 religious extremism has overtaken national separatism to become the main driver of terrorism and terrorist attacks around the world in recent years according to this years Global Terrorism Index.
In addition, the effects of religious extremism include:
1. Religious conflict, war and killing.
2. Destruction of properties including infrastructures, which often result to economic breakdown or recession.
3. Religious, political and societal disunity, segregation, nepotism, ethnocentrism and other religious vices.

It be continued.