Shadows

"We all got nightmares in our dreams."
A single child all on her own in the dark running from those that would hurt her.
"We look for someone to believe in us and show us the way."
She's running on and on without end. She's looking forward, backward, and forward again for a simple shelter. A single safe haven.

"And make it okay. The world can be dangerous."
She's lost and she's scared. She's in the middle of nowhere. The sun's setting in the sky painting the universal canvas several varying shades of blue, orange, pink, purple, yellow, red, grey, and green.
"There's something so rare in your veins. Not a single thing I would change."
She's a unique child, with a gift that she's hated for. A gift that causes her to be shunned simply because they're too afraid to accept it. All she wants is someone to accept her to not want her to change.

"And oh, if only you knew. How I see you."
She wants the truth and nothing less. She's tired of the lies and deception. She hates being used but she's so naive she can't tell that their kindness is fake. But she's discovered that sometimes the truth hurts worse than the lies.
"Would you come alive again. Alive again."
She misses them. They were the only ones who cared. But they're gone now and they're not coming back. Even so she can't help but wonder if they would if given the opportunity.

"I, I need you to understand. I don't mind your shadows."
She finally found someone. She was happy she was safe. But it was the same thing all over again. Or so she thought.

"Cause they disappear in the light. I don't mind your shadows. Cause they look a lot like mine."
Turns out they were like her. They were different and outcasted too. They knew how she felt. But unlike her they still had hope.

"And listen to me. It's okay to be afraid. Just walk like you're never alone."
She was surprised to put it simply. They were afraid but they hid it from her. They had acted like even though the world was against them they were never alone. And yet they were still afraid.

"I don't mind your shadows. Your shadows, baby I don't."
There was finally someone one who understood. Someone just like her. And they accepted her.

"Pictures in our heads. Of what we're supposed to be."
She asked them why they ran away. They're response? "They wanted me to change into something I'm not."

"Measuring ourselves but where is the love? Where is the love? The world got us wondering, wondering."
Others set standards for them to go by. But they didn't really see the point. After all, who would care? But no one ever answered their questions so they were left curious.

"I, I need you to understand. That I don't mind your shadows. 'Cause they disappear in the light."
They had to stay hidden during the day, it would be bad if they were found out. But at least they weren't alone anymore.

"And I don't mind your shadows. Cause they look a lot like mine."
They were similar and they were together.

"And listen to me. It's okay to be afraid. Just walk like you're never alone."
They were able to walk forward even though they were scared. Cause now they would no longer be alone. They were united and they weren't letting go so soon.

"I don't mind your shadows. Your shadows, baby I don't."
They're gifts brought them together. What made them outcasts gave them someone they could trust. And they didn't mind anymore.

"And all these voices in our heads."
The memories never faded even over time. They were haunted by the past. They wanted to escape. But how do you escape from yourself?

"Well they keep screaming louder and louder."
The nightmares kept coming. But they were more frequent lately. They were always there. How do they escape the trap their minds have set?

"But they won't pull us under."
They kept fighting through it all. They were determined not to let this bring them down. They were fighters and they would make it through this. They knew they could they just had to not care what happened in the past. It's nothing more than a shadow after all.

"Baby, I don't mind your shadows."
The past was in the past and it could no longer reach them. It's simply a shadow of what once was.

"'Cause they disappear in the light."
Once the sun comes up the nightmares are just that- a nightmare. Nothing more than a bad dream from the past.

"And I don't mind your shadows. Cause they look a lot like mine."
They're nightmares were almost exactly the same. Just like them the nightmares were so similar but at the same time to different.

"And listen to me. It's okay to be afraid."
They knew that fear was natural. It happens to even the bravest of people. It's fine to be afraid but they can't let it control them.

"Just walk like you're never alone."
They had each other so they weren't alone. And they were on their way to their own safe haven. A place just for people like them.

"And I don't mind your shadows."
They accepted each other no matter what. They were fine with who they were. What more could they ask for?

"Your shadows, baby I don't."
They had reached their goal. They could see their safe haven. As well as the fact that their minds were at peace. They were accepted. Maybe not by a lot of people, but it still counted didn't it?