A Stranger In the Distance

I am sitting in my desk chair bouncing up and down. It is last period of Friday and I want to go home. The math teacher is making a great big deal about something or other that someone said about algebraic multiplication when I look up at the clock next to the window. Only a few more minutes until the weekend. A certain colour out the window catches my eye and I focus my attention on the window. What. The.  A stranger is lying facedown on the lawn outside the school. I stande up quickly, Knocking over my chair. Every one in class stops talking and stares at me. There is a short silence, then everyone breaks out laughing.

"What a freak" some one whispers as the laughter dies down.

"Now Mr. Collins please seat yourself," Ms. Francisco tells me. I pick up my chair slowly. I can still see the stranger. "Ms. Fransisco--" I say "there is someone out there." The class begins to mutter. "Mr Collins there is nothing of the sort this school is private property and school is not out yet." She gives me a mean look then continues teaching wiht her lips in a sour shape. 

At the end of class I push through the crowd of cruel looking girls and hugely tall boys. I hear snatches of "Shh look he's right there idiot" and "what did the freak do today" and laughing. I make it to the door and then realize many kids around me are shifting nervously and some are muttering. All are peering out the portrait windows in front of the school. There is a stranger in the distance. He is dragging his feet and looks slightly dazed. His eyes are not focusing. Then a single sound echoes in the air the high pitched voice of Ms. Francisco shrieking out.