The Last Match

With trembling hands, the girl lit the match. She only had three left. The crackling sound of the slowly burning red knob calmed her and kept her at ease. It was like a small flame of hope flickering in the world of darkness. The haunted look on the girl's face showed how she had seen too much for a child her age. The dark and sunken bags under her eyes highlighted the sharpness of her face. Her eyesthat once sparkled in happiness, was now dull and pale, not quite focusing on anything. She had once been beautiful.

The continuous pitter patter of water dropping onto the surface of the cold stone floor echoed around in the cave where the girl was sitting. The dank and musty smell of the animals that had taken refuge before her was overpowering. The occasional howling of a lone wolf reminded the girl, once again, of how alone she was. It was at this time of the night that she would feel her past catching up to her. Of the laughter and childish games she had once played. Who would have known that all that would disappear in one day?

One.

Without a warning, the match spluttered out. Terrified that the darkness and the nightmare would overcome her again, she lit the second match. The satisfying fizz as the match caught fire brought out the light again. The girl gazed at the small fire, wondering at its beauty and deadliness. Fire. To think she had once hated it. To think she had come to hate herself because of it. Flashbacks and snippets of memories tumbled into her mind. She could hear voices.

“Don’t play with fire my daughter.”

“Okay daddy.”

Then she remembered the screaming. The smell of scorching timbre andthe shrieks of falling wooden pillars were too clear on her mind.Suddenly she saw figures clothed in black huddled around her.Hands were reaching out to her, trying to comfort her, but she didn’t want them. No, they didn’t want her. Rolls of thunder and lights streaked across the sky.

“Don’t go daddy. Don’t go mummy. Don’t leave me. I’m sorry…I’m so sorry…”

These words repeated itself in her mind every day. It was all her fault they had died. She could never forgive herself. A single tear trailed down her dirt stricken face.

Two.

The second match blew out. With a sigh the girl lit the next match. There was only one left. She closed her eyes and rested her head against the wall. Her breathing evened. The sound of feet scurrying on the floor caused her to open her eyes. There was a family of rats hurrying across the floor. The big rat continuously looked behind to see if their little ones were following. Her eyes watered up and a hint of a smile edged up her mouth. She was glad the little ones had someone looking after them. The steady light from the match began to waver and slowly died out. The girl reached out for her last match when she stopped herself. She didn’tneed it anymore. The ends of her mouth slowly curled up. The girl painfully settled herself onto the floor then her eyes fluttered closed. Soon after the only sound that could be heard was the steady breathing of the still-figure and the rhythmic platter of the rain.

Three.

The girl stayed lying on the floor even as the sun came up.Her skin was cold and there was no movement from her. Even when the family of rats nudged her with their noses and scurried over her she didn’t move. But the look on her face was the one she hadn’t displayed for a long time,a look of peace. In one hand the girl clutched the burnt out match. In the other, the match she never got to light was held against her chest. Only now could she truly sleep without having any nightmares taunt her and be alone again.

She was free.