➳ prologue: unexpected

jaehyun paces back and forth.

he wonders if this was the right thing to do. surprisingly, when jiyeon broke up with him, he was fine with it. of course, he was a little bit sad, but it was manageable. that was, until she stopped showing up at school, stopped responding to his messages, and stopped talking to her friends.

at first, he didn't think much of it. days passed, then weeks passed. now it's been a month and jiyeon has completely disappeared.

jaehyun stands in front of the door to her house. he stares at the doorbell. instinctively, he raises his finger to the button and pauses.

would this be a good idea?

without thinking, he presses the doorbell. he knows that he will regret his decision later, but in the moment, he does not. he is just worried about her and wants to make sure that she is okay.

the sound reverberates across the walls of her house and he can hear the loud ringing from outside.

what happened next was completely unexpected. 

a girl with a long brown hair and a small face opened the door. he had no idea who this girl was. from what he knew, jiyeon didn't have a sister.

jaehyun scratches his forehead. "uh, hi. sorry to bother you . . . but is jiyeon here right now?"

"no, i'm sorry," she says sympathetically. "she doesn't live here anymore."

dumbfounded, he gazes at her. "oh, she doesn't?" he asked. "do you know where she lives now?"

the girl scratches her head. "from what i know, her family moved to ulsan."