One.

It's been about a year and a half since mom died. She was my world; really she was all I had.

I mean dad's still alive but he never wanted to move to the United States with mom and I, so he let us come on our own while he remained in Bradford, and a few months later he filed for a divorce. Not much of a surprise since he and mom weren't really seeing eye to eye anymore. I saw it coming.

What I didn't see coming was the phone call I received 17 months ago from the hospital telling me my mother was in the ER fighting for her life alongside a younger male passenger that was in the car she was driving; both, fully intoxicated.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My mom? Drunk? A younger man? Accident?

I dropped everything I was doing and drove straight to the hospital , continuously dialing my father's number, but it kept going straight to voicemail.

Technically he was still her husband since the divorce papers hadn't been signed yet.

As soon as I got to the hospital, the face of the doctor that approached me told me everything I needed to know. All I remember after that was blacking out as soon as he confirmed my suspicions. My mother was dead. The so called younger man she was with had survived though, but with a broken spine rendering him paralyzed and unable to breathe on his own anymore. I didn't want to see him. He killed my mother.