THE OUT LANDS EPISODE ONE

Another day, another scenario of life and death. I had my log wood for fire, my rifle and a sufficient amount of bullets. All that was missing today was the god damned food. The town below this mountain used to be my home, my pride and joy until they showed up. I didn't know what to make of them, I was only a writer, but my best guess was that these people were zombies. Crazy, ridiculous, dumb I have heard it all before. It's one thing to say the word but it is an entirely different thing to see them in person, up close and personal. 

I lost my wife and daughter to these sick bastards and ever since then it has been nothing but me, my rifle and this mountain; living with bears like I was some freaking wild man. So yes today was yet another day where I'd have to head into town for supplies and food, and preferably get a car, not only to run some of these psychos over but to drive out of here in one piece as well.  

I got off the mountain with ease and entered the town on an asphalt road in front of an old church, my rifle holstered in both arms. Next to the church was a burning cottage and opposite the 'cottage of fire' was a two storey pharmacy. Surprising there was no one around and this bothered me like a giant South African Mosquito. My parents were black and I know that in all those horror movies the blacks were always the people to avoid every single event. In reality, my reality at least, either I investigate or I run the risk of being killed. I continued down the street with the noon sun in my hairy unshaven face, when one of them came bursting out of the alley between the church and the cottage.  

She was white with blonde hair, blood stained clothes and a face that screamed 'I am crazy!' It was my twelfth time using this thing. I took my aim, pulled back the trigger and watched her head explode like a pumpkin bomb. "Not bad for a rookie," I thought to myself. I needed to have more accurate shots like that more often. I got to the supermarket an hour later and in total I had killed several zombies before I even spotted the building. It wasn't the distance that made the journey a journey; there were just too many godforsaken zombies.  

My white shirt, my face, even the top of my blue shorts was splashed with blood. My Nikes however, my Nikes were clean. If blood got on them I would surely finish my ammo on the bastard who got them dirty. So far all the vehicles I came across were either burning, badly damaged or out of fuel. Did the people destroy all means of transportation because they thought zombies could drive? The world may never know. I passed a green Corolla in the parking lot and thought to myself "Food first, car later." The supermarket was a mess as usual, overturned shelves, scattered goods all over the floor. In a nutshell the zombies looked like they had a food fight in here. I avoided the dairy isle because I knew for sure that everything over there would be spoilt. Also, there was a freaking pit-bull lying next to a large carton of milk. I crept over pieces of glass and leapt over pools of blood and busted water bottles.

In the tin food section I helped myself to cans of meat and protein mainly; mackerel, sardine, baked beans and Split Peas. My pockets were big enough to hold everything, this I was glad for. What I wasn't glad for was when one of the cans fell and echoed. I stood for a while waiting for the growl, the scream, footsteps, something. To my surprise it was as silent as I had walked in. I got tired of waiting and crept across the floors back to the main entrance. I walked out of the supermarket with the sun in my face again. "It was dark in there," I thought to myself. For a while my eyes felt like they were dancing.  

I went back to the Corolla and felt my heart jump. No more hotwiring; the keys were sitting right in the passenger seat. I tried the door, it didn't work, went around to the other side, tried that door, it didn't work either. Neither did both of the backdoors and it was getting late. In my short time in the supermarket the sun had miraculously jumped across the blue afternoon sky. I did a quick inaccurate look around and shot out the driver window, brushed away the glass and sat in the seat. I placed the rifle on the backseat, grabbed the warm keys and tried the engine.