Chasing Blue

Prologue

She met them on Saturday at 11:17am. The sky was cloudless and the hot Florida sun burned at the back of their necks. They were showing at one of the A circuit shows that week, and she was volunteering as groom for her barn. "They" being Grandview Equestrian's top riders on one Show Team, showing all over the world and on every magazine cover in the horse community.

She remembered the way they walked most. With confidence lingering in every step, and eyes scanning their perimeters with mild interest. She had to do a double take when she saw them. 

It consisted of five riders. Penelope Hill, Leo Midwinter, Bently Fairchild, Chandler Hightower and the top junior rider in the country, Violet Washington. 

Hollen Roden had a small obsession with the Grandview Show Team Members. But, then again, so did the rest of the horse community. Having a spot in the team, was like becoming a god. Their coach, Jackson Gray, eight time Olympian and owner of Grandview, was looked upon as one of the most talented equestrians in his day, and today. 

She had said exactly two words to Mr. Gray. 

"Over there."

He had asked where the bathrooms were. 

One week and three days later at 3:07pm, Leo Midwinter asked her if she knew where the warm up ring was for his class. Hollen had known. (She also remembered his gorgeous green eyes. *swoon*)

The best one though, was two weeks and three days after Leo had last spoken to her at 1:34pm. Violet Washington was warming up with Jackson Gray in the center of ring. 

"You there?!" He'd said, calling to Hollen. 

"What's your name, darling?" Hollen remembered Jackson Gray's British accent. 

"Hollen Roden." 

"Hollen? What a lovely name. You know, I have an Aunt with that name. Hollen, would you mind giving me your opinion?" 

She nodded, too stunned to do anything else, and quickly crossed to the center of the arena.

"Violet, darling go again would you?" He asked, motioning to Violet to try the practice vertical again. 

She was riding her horse Legs, a big warmblood with some intense knee action over fences. She was dressed to impress with blindingly clean parlantis and custom fit black show jacket. Hollen envied her the most. Being captain of the team, and not the mention famous for her perfect equitation. Being her, Hollen thought, must be incredible. 

"Now Legs here has been acting kind of off, tell me if you think he looks a little bit lame... We wern't even going to bring him today, trying to keep him fresh for the Spruces next week...Now watch when he comes up to the jump, how there's a little hop off his front left...like he's trying to keep of it...and then there's his takeoff, completely different then usual...He's not even tucking as nicely as usual...What do you think?"

There was indeed something off about him. 

"How old did you say he was? Twenty?"

"Twenty-one." He corrected, giving her a puzzled look. 

Hollen knew that already, but was just trying to seem like she wasn't stalking them or anything. 

"Well, he might just be stiff. With old age and all. You didn't take him to the Ballows last week did you? I don't recall seeing you there. And you said you're keeping him for the Spruces? That might be it." 

"I never thought of that." Violet said, coming up to the group. 

"What did you say your name was again?" The coach asked, fixing his navy baseball cap.

"Hollen."

"Do you think we should use him then? Even if he's just stiff." 

"I would. I'd do some stretches and see if that helps. What class are you doing?" She asked, motioning to Violet.

"1.50's. And thanks by the way...Hollen." Violet smiled. Hollen remembered how perfect her hair was tucked underneath her helmet. Hollen could never get it that perfect. She also remembered how Violet had won that class, and had come up to her afterwards to thank her. Hollen remembered how amazing she'd felt that day.

So, when the news came that destroyed the entire Granview Team, Hollen's world fell apart. 

That day was three months, twenty three days, and nine hours since Violet Washington left Grandview forever. 

So, for three months, twenty three days, and nine hours the Team had no captain. For three months, twenty three days and nine hours, Grandview Equestrian had been looking for another team member. And For three months, twenty three days, and nine hours, Hollen Roden has been more determined than ever for that spot. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New story! Yay! Please tell me what you think! I'm actually going somewhere with this so that's great. I'm so excited to write this!!! 

Bai