preface

Sage ran her dainty fingers through her short hair, closing her eyes as she picked up the stick with her other hand. She slowly took a deep breath and just as she was about to reveal the longing answer to the burning question in her mind, there was a loud knock at the door, followed by a familiar deep voice.

"Hey babe, you okay in there?"

Startled, Sage dropped the pink stick, muttering a few choice profanities under her breath. She quickly bent down to pick up the stick. "Yeah, I'm alright," she said, her voice slightly rising. "I'll be out in a second."

"Aight," Kells said. The close range of his voice told Sage he was still on the other side of the door. She stared at herself in the mirror, blinking a few times to calm herself. "I picked Final Destination, so hurry yo ass up before I start this movie without you," he teased. And with that, she heard his footsteps retreat from the bathroom door.

Sage stayed silent, sighing as she stared at herself in the mirror a little longer. Her short wavy hair hid most of her face and the dark makeup around her eyes made her naturally dark eyes look even darker.

She swallowed hard. This was the moment she had been waiting for, well, the last five minutes or so. She picked up the test from its new spot on the bathroom counter, taking another deep breath.

There were two lines.

She felt sick all of the sudden, her dinner at her throat, but she swallowed hard, an attempt to keep her stomach calm and under control. She felt her body heat begin to rise which quickly made her uncomfortable in the small bathroom.

Sage grabbed her iPhone from the counter and quickly dialed Ashleigh's number. Her heart was racing and every second she continued to stand, she felt her knees grow weaker. She staggered over to sit on the toilet seat, her hands running through her hair again as tears threatening to fall from the corner of her dark eyes.

"Hello?" Ashleigh's voice was on the other line. There was commotion and loud voices in the background.

"I took it," Sage said in a low tone, careful not to speak louder than needed to.

Ashleigh's tone became serious. "You did? While he's there? Are you insane? Oh my god, what did it say?"

Sage took a deep breath again. "It's positive," she said, her voice cracking at the end.

"Jesus, Sage," Ashleigh sighed. "Did you take more than one test? Maybe it was a false positive - it happens all the time."

"I was only able to sneak one test in with me. I'm nervous to take the other," Sage spoke softly. "What if that one's positive too?"

It was silent for a moment on both ends of the call. Sage's eyes were closed as her torso hovered over her knees.

"Well, do you want to keep it?" Ashleigh asked the question Sage had been avoiding in her mind all day. If she did happen to be pregnant - did she really want to stop her life to raise a baby? Her plate was already full as it is without any newborns around. Although she had a few motherly characteristics, Sage never pictured having six kids and a labrador when she got older.

Her life was far from normal.

"I don't -"

"Well, there's pros and cons," Ashleigh interrupted. "Here's a pro - starting a family of your own with someone you love. And you know you'll have all the support in the world, from me and the crew. Casie has always talked about having another sibling around," she chuckled.

Sage sighed, a little overwhelmed.

"But there are cons," she continued. "Like - you just found your independence and a career path of your choice that you happen to fucking love. You're doing really well for yourself and perhaps a baby will mess with some goals you have right now..."