Johnny and Penelope; Confessions

Alternate ending: resumes when Annie and Penelope arrive at Johnny/ Max's apartment

(Johnny's POV)
********************************************

I heard the knock, opened the door impatiently, and scowled at the two people standing there. Who could blame me? Drunk people from the Halloween party had been interrupting me all night.

There were two girls looking at me expectantly. One was dressed as a bumblebee and the other was wearing a Penelope mask— like half of the other people I had saw wearing them earlier in the day. When I looked at who the second girl was dressed as, my face held a look of disgust. Not at the face I saw, but at the mockery of my beautiful Penelope.

My Penelope hadn't been seen in months. No doubt she was still out there embracing her independence. But the words that echoed in the back of my mind were what she had said to me once before, I'll kill myself'.

Those words had haunted him ever since she had disappeared. What if she had? She wouldn't. It was all my fau—his thoughts were brought back to reality by the other girl dressed as a bumblebee.

"......You got a bathroom?" I only caught the end of what she asked in a hurried tone. Before scurrying away she added,"I'm gonna get some punch." I thought she was a bit quirky.

The girl dressed as Penelope uttered a protest at her retreating friend before looking back at me.

Not sure what to do I said unsurely," Uh... yeah....yeah....sure I guess it's ok, come on in."

I gestured toward the bathroom as she walked into my apartment cautiously.

I resumed my packing and let her do her business.

"It looks like a good party. Why aren't you out there?" She asked in a muffled voice from the bathroom.

"I gotta pack," I replied bluntly, having no interest in making small talk with this girl.

"So are you moving?"

I thought of how nosy the actual Penelope was. This girl was reminding me of her in more ways than one. I hesitated but replied, "Out of town job, felt like getting out of the city for a while."

"Away from the crowds?"

I scoffed at how nosy she was. Then chucked before saying, "Ya... the crowds and the poker tables."

"Oh? So you're a gambler?"

"Ex. Avoiding the temptation."

While putting some clothes in my suitcase, I heard the bathroom door open, and footsteps approach.

She stopped a few feet away and said, "Good .......Good for you."

The way she spoke. Her prying. It had to be. It was her. I just knew it.

"I... uh..... had a friend once who... uh gambled...." she continued.

She mumbled a few more things before my heart got the best of me and I blurted out, "Take off the mask."

Confusion covered her face. I regretted the moment I said it. It had been ridiculous to think it could be her. Not to mention probably scaring the girl to death.

Man! Was I losing my head over this girl or what? If only it was her, I thought to myself.

"Wh-what?" She asked.

"Sorry," I apologized. "All day I've been running into.... well, someone I used to know. Sorry, it's ridiculous."

"This someone," she asked. "Meant a lot to you?"

"Yes," I replied hesitantly but with honesty. "Yes, she did."

"What happened?"

"Couldn't give her what she wanted."

"What did she want?"

"To be free"

She glanced behind me a suddenly blurted out, while walking over to my piano, "You lied to me! I guessed piano, and you said that—"

At last, conformation it was her. She was here. I turned around certain as ever and marched right up to her, and kissed her passionately.

Maybe I couldn't reverse the curse, but I could show her how much I loved her just the way she was.

I devoured her lips like it was the end of the world. Like it was the last kiss I would ever give. I poured my heart into that kiss trying to show her how I really felt.

I pulled back suddenly, "Penelope, I'm sorry."

"I know—"

"No. I don't have the power to break the curse."

"It's ok," she said taking off her mask. I barely recognized her. I jumped back startled.

"..turns out I did." She finished.

"It's me Max," she justified, but I knew it was her.

"Names Johnny." I replied lamely.

"Right." She said shaking her head knowingly, "Johnny."

I looked at the unfamiliar face and immediately fell in love again. I touched her cheek, and brushed a finger over her new nose, admiring her newfound beauty.

I couldn't help myself. I took one more look at her and the let my lips crash down onto hers again, with no intention of stopping.

She pulled back too soon. We were both grasping for breath.

"I love you," I said stating the obvious.

"I love you too." She said looking into my eyes.

We kissed and kissed until our lips were raw. When we finished I still couldn't let her go. I was afraid if I did, I wake up and realize this was all a dream. So I held her close and hugged her tightly.

She stayed at my place that night. Mainly because it was so late.

We laid in my bed and I told her about and explained everything. My father, my gambling problem, learning to play the piano, the deal with Lemon, cleaning up my act, and why I had showed up at theatre that night. By the time I had gotten to that last part she had started tearing up.

"I didn't mean to make you cry." I told her sincerely as I wiped the tears about to fall from her eyes.

"You wanted to marry me, but couldn't bear to deceive me. You showed up at the theatre but didn't want to hurt me anymore. No one has ever cared about me so much to do that for me." She sniffled and smile lovingly at me.

I rubbed her arm tenderly and let my mind go blank. We said no more words but silently drifted off. She fell asleep soon and afterwards. Then my eyes started closing and I was asleep.