Anticipation

My boyfriend Scott stood at the bottom of the steps, staring at me. "Samantha, what happened to you?"

I slowly walked down the porch steps of my house, staring at Scott. I wish he'd hug me, but he continued to stare at me as if I were a stranger. I sighed. "What's wrong, Scott?"

He looked upset and I didn't understand why he was mad. We'd graduated from high school last year and both Scott and I had been away at college. Since we didn't attend the same college, we couldn't see each other very much. But we tried to make our long-distance relationship work. We frequently called one another and sent each other emails and texts. Both of us had returned back to our hometown for the summer, and this was the first time we'd seen one another since Christmas.

"Samantha, you're too skinny. Have you been sick?"

I jerked back, glanced down at myself. I always made sure I looked fashionable since I wanted to be a model one day. There was a huge modeling competition at our local mall later this summer. I needed to make sure I was ready for this big competition.

I looked great. I was wearing a pair of short, tight denim shorts and a tight red tank top. I was also wearing sexy crimson knee socks and a pair of chunky high-heeled shoes. My slim, pale legs always looked fabulous in knee socks and I wore them a lot - they were a fashion for which I wanted to be known for one day. "Scott, there's nothing wrong with the way I look. When I saw you last Christmas, I told you that I wanted to be a model, and I needed to start watching my weight."

I frowned, scratched the back of my neck. Why was Scott still standing there, looking shocked? Didn't he love me anymore? Finally, he approached me, pulled me into a hug. He caressed my back with his hand, kissed my cheek. His warm fingers tingled my spine as I returned his hug. I clung to him, inhaled the wonderful woodsy scent of his cologne. I never wanted him to let me go. When he finally released me, he grabbed my chin, gazed into my eyes. "I'm sorry I've made you upset, Samantha. But, I think you're too thin. When I hugged you, I felt the bones in your back."

I pulled away from him. "No, I'm not too thin! You're just not used to seeing me since I started my diet."

Scott continued staring at me, still looking sad. "Why are you wearing such tight clothes? I've never seen you dress that way before."

I'd never dressed in revealing clothing because I was always too fat. Now that my arms and legs were nice and slim, I wanted to show off my new figure. Why couldn't Scott understand that? "I don't want to talk about this anymore. This is the first time we're seeing each other during our summer break and I don't want to start our date with an argument." Scott and I had been looking forward to the summer. We planned on seeing each other regularly and the thought of seeing Scott all the time made me happy.

He touched my face. "Hey, calm down. Let's get going. I thought I'd take you to your favorite restaurant for dinner, then we'd go out to a movie later."

I nodded as he took my hand and we walked to his car. He opened the door for me and I got into the front seat and fastened my seatbelt. Soon he started the ignition. He glanced at me for a few seconds, before he started driving. We arrived at the restaurant a few minutes later. He held my hand as we entered the restaurant. The hostess gave us our menus and took us to a nice table in the back of the room.

Later, our waitress came to take our order. "What'll you have?"

I ordered first. "I'll have a side salad with no dressing and a glass of water."

The waitress raised her eyebrows. "Is that all you want?"

I nodded. I'd been doing so good with my diet that I couldn't break my routine now.