You're No Hero

Stiles was at school when he was called. He was in economics replaying why Lydia left him when Coach said his name. Deputy Parrish was standing next to him with tears coming out of his eyes. Scott didn't even look at him as he stepped outside trembling. He saw his father give the news to so many families, he knows the procedure by hand. Ever since the fight that Theo was trying to destroy Stiles's life, Scott refused to believe him and made him an outcast at school. 

Stiles turned to Parrish and spoke. "Is he dead?"

Parrish nodded.

"How?" Stiles said through gritted teeth.

"We were responding to a robbery in the neighboring town and he took a bullet to the head when he entered the building."

Stiles took a long deep breath and a single tear fell down his face before wiping it away. "Where's my dad?"

"He's in the hospital morgue. I'll take you there if you want."

"No." Stiles said. "No, let me get my Uncle here too. He deserves to know. And when he comes, we'll look together."

Stiles called his Uncle Joe and told him the news. He and his family took the next flight out to meet Stiles. 

After he came, Stiles couldn't get the courage to see his father. His uncle went and confirmed it was him. 

The funeral and the dinner after went by slowly. Marvin, his cousin, knew all about what had happened between Stiles and his friends, so he made sure to keep them at a distance from Stiles, especially Lydia Martin. 

Stiles was surprised when he was asked to say a few things about his dad. He got up and stood in front of people he knew. He wasn't crying, but his knees felt weak. He got up and said a few words. He didn't remember anything or try to. He just wanted it to end. 

Stiles didn't eat or drink since the news, so Marvin and him went to get a burger from his favorite diner. When they pulled up, Marvin went to order while Stiles found a booth. Unfortunately, the entire gang decided to eat there as well and saw him at the booth by himself. 

Lydia felt bad and decided to talk to him. Ever since she broke up with him, she felt bad. He didn't even say anything bad to her. He just nodded and told her all he wanted was for her to be happy, even if it meant not with him. 

Lydia sat down in front of Stiles. He looked up at her and scoffed. He got up and tried moving to Marvin, but she grabbed his hand. 

"We need to talk." Lydia said. 

"No. Lydia, look, I'm happy for you. Just go be happy. Stop pretending that you wanted to be with me in the first place."

"Stiles, I love him." Lydia said. 

"Then go. I'm not stopping you. Hell, I feel happy that you're happy, so why are you and everyone else on my back." Stiles said calmly. 

"Because everyone here knows you're tearing yourself apart." Lydia said. 

"No, I'm not. You all did that for me. And you know something? My dad's death didn't hurt me that much." Stiles said. "I'm actually glad he's gone, so he can be with my mom. Do me a favor and never speak to me again. As far as I'm concerned, every single one of you is out of my life."

Lydia and the gang were shocked at his words. 

Marvin was walking back and Stiles moved to him.

"Stiles, where are you going?" Scott asked. 

Stiles didn't even answer. He just left. 

When he and Marvin got home, he sat in the kitchen with his Uncle Joe, Aunt Mary, and Marvin. 

"So Stiles, we were thinking that you should come live with us." Joe said. 

Stiles smiled and nodded. 

"Have you made any plans for college?" Mary asked. 

"No. I'm enlisting to the Rangers. Then I'm going to join the FBI." Stiles said nonchalantly. 

"Why?" Joe asked. 

"No more kids are going to have to watch their dad's die on the streets. I'm doing this. I need to be away. Far away. And this is something that I need to do, not want to do."

"Ok. Pack what you want. We'll leave in two days. I'll call the school and enroll you."

Stiles nodded and went upstairs to start packing. He took all of his clothes and pictures he wanted to keep. Everything else could be sold.

While unpacking, he found all of the things Lydia gave him while they were together. He asked Marvin to drop them off at her house for him. 

Marvin took the box and arrived at Lydia's house. He rang the doorbell and Lydia answered the door. He spoke before she had the chance. 

"These are all of things you gave Stiles. He doesn't want anything he gave you back."  

He dropped the box and turned around, not looking back. Marvin made a promise that day. He would do everything to stand up for and to protect Stiles.