Different

"I’m different, from my head to my toes, from my laugh to my scowl; I am who I am, different." Imagine waking up every morning saying those exact same words, understanding that some may not think of you like that but may think of you as fat, or ugly, maybe even stupid I’m none of those hurtful words I’m just different.

Today I got up thinking why did it have to be me? Why couldn’t I have just turned out beautiful? My mother doesn’t want to be bothered with me, my older twin brothers don’t want to be seen with me, and my father just doesn’t care. Looking at my reflection on my long body mirror I understand. I’m fat; I have dull dark brown eyes, dirty blonde hair, and a chubby face. I’m not an American beauty, and I doubt I’d be a beauty in any other country.

After repeating those words I decided it’s time I face my problems. I took gentle foot steps into my tiny bathroom. My mom decided that since she doesn’t want to see me I should just live in the attic. It’s really small and dirty, but what other choice do I have. I got into my shower that’s full of molds and insects of all species and turned on the water. After taking a shower I brushed my teeth and wrapped a towel around myself, making sure not to look down or else I’d see the disgusting person I’ve become. Walking into my closet I felt bad for myself, I barley have anything in there, all I have is four oversized t-shirts that hide all my kept fat and three pairs of baggy jeans, all because my mother convinced my father that getting me clothes would be a waste of time cause I don’t need it. I decided to put on my red and white striped shirt and one of my blue jeans, next I brushed out my hair and put it in a high ponytail, then I slipped on my sneakers that I’ve had for over 2 years now I got it for myself when I was 14.

When I was finished I took slow steps down into the kitchen being careful not to make a sound. Whenever my family sees me they either destroy me with their words, or with body language. I guess luck wasn’t on my side because as soon as I got into the kitchen my mother’s voice ranged in my ears "Madison why are you not at school yet? You lowlife scumbag"

"I w-was just a-about to leave ma-am" I said trembling over my words

“Just about to isn’t good enough, can you not do anything right?" I didn’t want to answer because if I did I’d be punished by my father for talking back,  before I could even finish my thoughts I felt a hard hand connect to my chubby left cheek "Answer me you little b*tch!!" I felt hot tears travel from my eyes down to my lip, realizing I was crying my mother said "I didn’t even do the worst yet and your already crying?!!, you really are a disappointment" turning around she walked out of the house I’m guessing to go to work. I sat down in the dining table chair and just started thinking about my life, my struggle, my insecurities, and my family I then realized that im late for school!!!!