Chapter 1

My head was splitting in half. My conscious was at war with itself, going back and forth over and over. I sat down and thought to myself 'Does anything really matter?' I couldn't go home, at least not for now. It was half past six and I should know that this is around the time that my father gets home. Warm tears streamed down my face, blending in with the drops of rain pouring down from the dark, gloomy sky. I looked around and wasn't surprised that I was alone, having the atmosphere match my internal feelings. I hugged my knees to my chest, I wanted to be gone, to actually be 'normal' and not have all of these voices in my head screaming at me about how worthless I am. To me, it didn't make any sense, and life was just thrown at me all at once. That is, until a small thin arm reached out in front of me.

"Get up," she ordered. Her voice was high, and her body small and frail. I scooted back closer under the rusty piece of scrap metal protecting me from the rain overhead. I was hit with a wave of confusion. I didn't know that girl, and she didn't know me, so why was she so quick to try and get to me? I hesitated before deciding to respond.

"No reason, it's not like you'd care," I snorted. I had no idea if she had known that I was crying or not due to the rain, but hopefully she hadn't. Having such a tiny little girl tell such a big guy like me what to do was embarrassing enough.

"Like I said, you're not getting past me. I know you have talents but hiding your emotions definitely isn't one of them," she smirked and then looked down. It seemed like something had just suddenly crossed her mind, changing it almost instantly, making me question her sudden appearance even more.

"Well if you're not letting me go, then just get to the point already. I don't wanna be here any more than you do," I snapped. I have no idea why I do stuff like this. Deep down I honestly wanted to be nice to her, but all of these rude remarks just keep flying out of my mouth.

"First of all, you're not gonna talk to me that way when I'm trying to help you," she glared. "And second, if you would just calm down and listen to me, I could take you somewhere that can help you in more ways than you think," she said. I shook my head.

"What makes you think that I'm gonna trust you so easily? I just met you, a random stranger on the side of the street, and you're trying to take me where? An alley where the rest of your people can jump me? To give me more bruises than I already have? I don't have time to take all this crap from someone that I don't even know, let alone a stupid little g-" I was stopped in my tracks when my head snapped away, my cheek burning from that hand that I thought was so harmless a minute ago. I looked back at her in disbelief, but she didn't even look fazed in any type of way. I opened my mouth to say something, but no words came out. Her hand wrapped around my wrist, and she pulled me almost halfway down the street, not caring about the pouring rain drenching us. We walked up to her tiny little bug and she stared at me.

"Well aren't you gonna get in?" she almost shouted. I chuckled.

"After you just slapped me? You're not that good at persuading people you don't even know," I smirked, but I still wasn't buying it."If you think I'm getting in a car with someone I don't know, you're wrong," I paused."Unless if you're an Uber, but you get what I me-" she gave me a bored stare and crossed her arms.

"Are you gonna keep rambling or are you gonna get in?" She gestured to her now open car door. I weighed my options, either going with this random stranger who I could drive off with and possibly never return, or go home to face what was waiting for me.

I'd take anything but the latter.

I stepped in, my heart racing with anticipation. I have no idea where I am going or what's going to happen to me, yet I still chose to do this. I strapped in my seat belt, looking over at her sifting through her bag to try and find her keys. I examined her frame, she was very boney, to the point to where it almost didn't seem healthy. I sensed something wrong, her jacket looked huge on her, and every time her sleeve slid down even just a little bit, she yanked it back up immediately. I turned my head as soon as she looked up, trying not to be rude for staring. The roaring of the engine brought my mind back to its previously anxious thoughts. At this point I was hoping that she would just take me to a park or something, just anywhere but what my mind was stirring up.