Analysis of acrylic face mounting

Picture framing has been around for centuries; only the techniques have been modified with time

Picture framing has been around for centuries; only the techniques have been modified with time. Traditionally, the only framing material used was wood. Different shapes and structures were carved out of it. Later, new innovations with metal, glass, and plastic materials were introduced. Another alteration for displaying an artwork or picure that has been trending in recent years is Face Mounting (also known as float framing).

Face Mounting gives a floating like appearance to your piece of art. It is being used by artists all over the world for their exhibitions and presentations. However, that doesn't imply this display technique should only be opted by professionals. In today's date, face mounting is being prefered for home as well as office decoration puposes.

The favoured material used for face mounting is acrylic. Twisting the words to make a clear sense - Acrylic face mounting involves 'mounting acrylic' on the 'face', that is front, of your artwork. They give a glossy borderless look with an almost 3D effect. Acrylic mounting is suitable for any decor with a modern touch in it.

The entire mounting process is comprised of several steps. Initially, an adhesive (optically clear) is applied on the print of your art piece and then adhered to the acrylic. This bonding facilitates protection of the print from dust, scratces, and early fading. Next, the print is backed up with the help of a wood brace that provides rigidity and support to it. A mounting cleat is appended at the back which creates an illusion as if your picture is floating off of the wall.

Acrylic mounting is widely prefered because of the visual appearance it casts on the observer. When a light falls on the acrylic layer, the reflection of the elements in the print is completely different from that of an ordinary glass. The visual is optimized with an added depth and enhanced color saturation. As a result, the colors seem more intense and bright giving three-dimensional look to the picture. Morevoer, acrylic material filters the UV light too.

Advantages of Acrylic Face Mounting

Acrylic mounting adds life to your artwork by protecting it from Ultraviolet rays and external environment comprised of dust and moisture.

It enhances the appearance of your picture by providing a bright and lively look.

Unlike glass, acrylic is durable and shatter resistant – ideal choice for exclusive artworks.

No need to worry about matching art piece with the room furniture as was the case in traditional wooden or metal framing.

Acrylic mounting provides a near 3D look to the bonded print because of its rare reflective properties.

Optical properties of acrylic are superior to normal framing glass.

Disadvantages of Acrylic Face Mounting

The only downside of this mounting technique is its cost. The components and techniques adopted in the designing process prove to be expensive.

Acrylic face mounting involves implementation of specialized techniques; hence, do your research thoroughly before choosing a professional framer. Picture framers at Wilson Moulding offers you the latest techniques and designs for float picture framing. Select the best float frame not on the basis of price but on the basis of the effect it will produce on your artwork. Float framing can be expensive but it is definitely worth every single penny spent on it.