Suggestion

Disclaimer: This story utilises characters, situations and premises that are copyright Masashi Kishimoto, Shueisha, Shonen Jump and Viz media. No infringement on their respective copyrights pertaining to episodes, novelisations, comics or short stories is intended by KuriQuinn in any way, shape or form. This fan-oriented story is written solely for the author's own amusement and the entertainment of the readers. It is not for profit. Any resemblance to real organizations, institutions, products or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

All plot and Original Characters except for those introduced in the canon books, manga, video games, novelizations and anime, are the sole creation of KuriQuinn. (© KuriQuinn 2016-)

Warning: Spoilers for pretty much everything up to Chapter 699. NSWF elements.

Canon-Compliance: As close to canon as fanfiction can possibly be. With a few personal additions :P Takes place during the Blank Period.

Fanon-Compliance: Takes place several years before An Inch of Gold and Unplanned.

Beta-Reader: Sakura's Unicorn

_____

Life on the road is not what either of them expected.

Outside of the war, Sakura hasn't explored the world very widely, while Sasuke has only ever seen it as a lone wanderer. Their mission, the one which sent them from Konoha in the first place, was urgent enough that neither really had time to take in the sights.

But now, months and a fully matured relationship later, they are experiencing the world together. Like most things about their new life—along with words like relationship and together, it takes some getting used to. Sasuke and Sakura both have their own routines; travelling together means learning to share those—and adapt to others.

Sasuke discovered very early on that the weak, swooning girl he left in Konoha all those years ago is barely a memory, reappearing with less frequency the longer they are together. Still, once they're married, there are days when he forgets that the vows he took to protect her are exclusive to situations she can't get herself out of on her own. On one such day, he suggests taking the longer route to their next destination.

"We can avoid the forest road. Mercenaries and bandits have made that their home these days."

She gives him an unimpressed look. It's the same one he recalls giving Naruto when they were children, and the blond boy was being particularly obtuse.

"Will taking the longer route mean we arrive in the village after dark and have to beg to sleep in someone's house where they might not even have indoor plumbing?" Sakura asks sweetly.

"Perhaps."

"Then we're cutting through the forest. I'm bathing tonight, mister, and so are!" She adjusts her humongous backpack and smirks. "What is it? Are you worried you'll break a nail?"

Sasuke watches her retreating back for a few seconds, before jogging to catch up.

The forest does turn out to be filled with bandits, but Sasuke doesn't even get the chance to deal with them. Judging by the smirk Sakura shoots him afterward, that was intentional. That smirk may or may not be the reason that they arrive at the village long after dark...and for the mouth-shaped marks on her shoulder and scratches down his back.

Another, pleasantly surprising they are still getting used to, along with other quirks that are either new or forgotten.

Like how Sakura is always cold—which means she's always stealing the blankets, whether they're on the road or at an inn. Sasuke might not mind cool temperatures when he's awake, but there's no feeling more irritating in the morning than the empty, grasping cold, and the realisation his wife has turned herself into an overlarge pupa with his stolen covers.