The Babysitter

It was a frost-bitten Friday morning when Brittany Wilson was dead asleep in her bed. "Brittany, Mr. Johnson is going out on a business trip for tonight and he needs a babysitter. So I told him that you would be available for tonight. So, you got the job offer." Brittany’s mother had disturbed her of her blissful slumber. “Mmmhhh… I’m sleeping. Couldn’t you have come into my room a bit later? Leave me when I sleep.” Brittany mumbled, followed by a loud groan of annoyance. She was annoyed because she hated it when people disturbed her when she slept in. "You wouldn’t be like this if you’d just listen to me and stop staying up until three in the morning. Just be at Mr. Johnson’s house by eight.” Brittany's mother said. Brittany was always worried that her mother never understood her. Why did her mother tell Mr. Johnson that lie, that she was “free” and she had “nothing better to do”, and on a Friday night?! Brittany had to call up her friends and tell them that she couldn’t go to see the new SAW movie, because she had to baby-sit.

It was half-past seven when Brittany arrived to the Johnson's house. She rang the door bell three times... suddenly, a cold wind with a silhouette passed behind her... she looked behind herself and saw...nothing. She turned around and saw the shadow again! It was holding a butcher knife! She alertly looked around and there right in front of her, she saw the knife! It lie there in front of her covered in fresh blood. She hyperventilated a bit, and then pulled out her in haler to breathe better... the door creaked open. It was Mr. Johnson's bratty and almost seven year old children, Maxwell, Rachel, and Susan. They showed up at the door with food stains on their clothes. Maxwell had pulled on Brittany's long, black hair. Rachel hated Brittany and was very jealous of her, so if she saw one of Brittany's flaws, she'd make fun of it. Rachel made fun of Brittany's peach and cream skin color. Susan was always well behaved and she would stop her brother and sister from doing anything that would hurt anybody. "Stop hurting her!" Susan pulled her brother and sister to the side. "Uh, did you see somebody behind me while I was outside?" Brittany said. "No." Susan had said. "Okay, that was...weird. Anyways, did your father leave me a list of numbers?" Brittany said. "Yeah, it's over there by the telephone." Susan said still clutching her brother's and sister's hands. Brittany slowly walked by the telephone and took the list of important phone numbers into her hand and stuffed it into her back pocket. The phone rang...it rang three times...until Brittany finally picked the receiver up and answered. "Johnson residence, who is calling?" No one answered. "Hello?" someone was breathing slowly and deeply on the phone. "I'll get you Brittany even if I have to kill you myself!" There was a hollow voice on the phone. The phone went dead. Brittany 's hand trembled as the receiver fell from her hand. She stood there flabbergasted with her mouth open. A chill ran down her spine as she tried to move, but she felt as if her feet were nailed to the floor. She began to hyperventilate... she felt as if the whole room was about to collapse and fall on her...she fainted and went blank on the cold hard wood floor..."Aw great, what the hell happened?" Brittany woke up with her head pounding against her skull like a bass drum in a band. Which followed with a slight ringing in her ears. She found herself in some strange room on top of a canopy bed and warm Egyptian cotton covers. Little mints scattered over the bed had filled the room with a pleasing scent. She some how felt as if she was in a better place, away from those ratty little children. She felt like she didn't want to go anywhere but stay in that one room, that one gentle, yet pleasing room where no soul could enter and bother...until Maxwell came in. Her peace was suddenly broken into shards of glass. "Brittany! There's a strange man at the door...he said he was looking for you." Maxwell was breathing hard and his face had turned as pale as a ghost. "Fine. I'll go and check it out. You stay here while I go and get your sisters." Brittany rushed into the living room to grab Susan and Rachel and leave them into their parent's bedroom. There was a loud knock at the door which followed with the phone ringing numerous times. She tip-toed into the kitchen to grab a butcher knife. She grasped the blade in her hand and slowly walked towards the door. Her hand grasped the doorknob and turned it slowly, she pulled the door open...