Prologue

It rained. A little boy stood in front of a girl, all covered up with raindrops. He's probably around 9. He held a stick of sunflower that covered half of his full-of-hope face. His eyes were bright even if the sky was dark, and his uneven small smile just lightens up his face more. It was adorable, to be honest.

It was silent. The girl doesn't know what to say. She puts this uncomfortable face,

"No", and the boy's bright face suddenly dimmed. The huge sunflower he held then withered as he walk back to his house.

Along the way, he saw a man, same as wet as him. The man kneel down with a shiny ring on his hand. A woman in front of him was crying, then she yelled the word 'yes' and nodded as she throws the umbrella she held before and hugged the man. Then a sweet kiss planted on each other's lips. The boy struggled to walk past the cheering crowd, bummed. He thought, how can people find love easily? Why can't he? He knew he's still too young to think that far, but hey, love doesn't know age, right?

____________•_____________

"Hey, there.", a man greeted as the little boy stomped his feet to the kitchen and threw the flower to the sink.

The man opens up his mouth for a good 5 seconds as if he was trying not to hurt the boy, then finally spoke "I can see that the flower's not working"

"Look, Dad, I told you that someone like Nora will not be with anyone like me.", his voice got higher without him knowing it. "I don't know why do you want me to ask her out. I can't even believe that I.."

"Shushh.. your mom's sleeping, little man", the man who turned out to be his Dad points a finger in front of his mouth.

The boy then lowered his voice, "That I believed you."

his Dad let out a small sigh, "Alright, Jonas, come with me"

The little boy who happens to be named Jonas followed his dad to the living room and they both sit on the couch.

"If you ever feel hopeless about love, like, in this kind of situation, remind yourself about this story about me and my ex that I will tell to you right now"

Jonas, still with a regretful face, nodded.

"Okay then. Here's how it goes. So, you and Nora. She's like waaaay up there", his Dad points somewhere at the rooftop, "and you.. are down there, right?", his Dad points at the floor. Jonas nodded to his dad.
"True", that's all he can say.

"Well, when I was in high school, I was way below the floor,"
"and the girl I like..."

The Dad was pretty confused for a second, then unsurely,

"...well, she's not in this chart."