You Are My Sunshine

• Dedicated to Mom

Her hazel hair flows in the wind like blossoms in the spring. It mesmerizes you as she giggles and skips along the sun warmed crosswalk.

Multiple varieties of chalk are spread across the ground. Pictures of flowers and dinosaurs are seen in different hues coloured outside the lines.

The sun warms your skin as you watch her dance among the blades of emerald grass. There really was never anything like a day outside in the summer with your personal sunshine.

She wore a small sundress painted with greens, yellows and pink. Pink was always her favourite colour, it worked well with her gentle brown eyes.

"Come here, I want you to push me!" she called out with a singsong sound. She was sitting on a swing hanging from a large willow tree the stood more than 50ft. high. The swing was a plank of wood suspended from two silver chains, it was very beautiful in the setting with rays of sunshine peaking out between the leaves and branches of the old willow.

You walked towards her. The sunlight burns your sight but the pain is almost enjoyable.

Time slows down as you pushed her. Her hair becomes entangled with happiness and joy. She laughs and smiles. It was a perfect afternoon. You wished it would go in forever.

That old kids song danced in your head.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine

You make me happy when skies are grey

You'll never know, dear, how much I love you

Please don't take my sunshine away."

10 Years Later:

You grasp her picture in your hands and weep. The sobbing stings your eyes. Your lungs burn from the attempts to grasp for air.

The police called and said that they had found her.

She had left for a party across town. She had drank. She needed a ride and a boy offered her a ride. He had drank too.

You feel empty inside that your sweetheart was nothing more but a lifeless body now. She would never smile again. She would never laugh again. She would never be held again. It felt like your insides were collapsing like a tree in a hurricane.

Her brown hair would no longer flow down her back. Her brown eyes would no longer glow in the light of a full moon. She would never say how much she loves pink.

The old kids song that danced in your head as it did all those years ago. This time, you wished all of it to go back to the way it was all those years ago under that old willow.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.

You make me happy when skies are grey.

You'll never know, dear, how much I love you.

Please don't take my sunshine away."