Chapter 1 - New York New York

Tasha was sitting in front of the TV one evening when the phone rang.

"Hello," she answered.

"Tash, it's Angie, I have some exciting news!" she shrieked.

"Should I be afraid?" asked Tasha unable to stifle a laugh at her agent's overexcited shriek.

Angie laughed, "Of course not. I have had a call from a studio in L.A. and they have invited you out to meet with them in New York!"

"Wow," said Tasha.

"Wow indeed. They said they had heard good things about you from your stay in L.A. last year and thought it would be good to meet up, so they are in New York this weekend and have invited you to join them!"

"That's short notice Angie," she said.

"I don't believe you have anything else planned!!" she said stuffily.

"No!" admitted Tasha, "Book a flight then!" she said.

"You're on the 18.05 from Heathrow on Thursday night and you have your meeting on Friday at 15.00, details of location to follow," she said smugly, clearly knowing that Tasha would agree to the trip.

Tasha laughed as she shook her head, "Ok, that sounds great, I'll just have to call home and make sure they're all ok. Thanks, Angie, you're the best."

Tasha stood out front of her hotel and waited for the car that she had been assured would collect her on the studio's behalf. She checked her watch again as the black limo pulled up.

"Miss Winters?" asked the driver as he opened the passenger door for her.

"Yes, thank you," she said as she slid into the back of the car.

She looked down nervously at her hands that were wringing in her lap and took several deep breaths as she wondered whether she had overdressed. She looked down at the dress she had chosen, it was a red floral, sleeveless cotton print dress that had a sweetheart neckline that fitted tightly to the waist and then a flared skirt that finished at her knees. It had several net petticoats beneath the skirt and she had teamed it with bright red peep-toe stilettos and had even painted her toe nails to match. She wondered whether she was better dressed for a garden party rather than a possible business meeting. Shit! She thought, she should never have questioned it, she felt uncomfortable now.

The car pulled up outside one of New York's many skyscrapers and as Tasha gathered her thoughts the door flew open and the driver was there to help her out. She smiled at him and thanked him again as she headed towards the doors of the building.

She turned back and gave him a little wave that he returned as he called to her, "You look lovely ma'am, good luck."

Nerves were kicking in again as Tasha was shown into a large conference room by a rather aloof, blonde lady of probably thirty.

"Take a seat, Mr Maybury will be with you shortly, help yourself to tea, coffee, soft drinks or the bar."

The woman smiled, not that it made it to her eyes and turned to leave.

This was a huge opportunity, being invited to New York to meet studio bosses who would be looking at the next season's programming which in turn meant casting. The kind of money many shows and movies paid over here were phenomenal compared to the amount she was used to earning, not that she was complaining. Tasha loved her job, it wasn't even work, not really, but money she needed, a constant supply, at least for the next couple of years because she had responsibilities and commitments she was in no position to shirk or cast aside, not yet.