The Girl With Two Eyes

I woke up with a twinge in my neck.  Ugh.  I sat up and looked out of my bay window.  The elementary school kids were walking to the bus.  Two boys and one girl.  Both boys were tall, but one boy is blonde and the other had black hair.  The girl was rather short with short, brunette hair.  I saw them every day at this same time…7:01 am.

            I stood up.  The marble floor felt cold to my bare feet.  I walked into the bathroom.  It was funny how all the bedrooms of the house had bathrooms.  I brushed my teeth and hair.  Afterwards, I ran down to the kitchen.  My dad wasn’t home.  There was a note on the fridge.

Mary:

Eat, do your homework.  I will be back as soon as possible and explain as well.

            The way he wrote it seemed rushed and sloppy.  Something must be wrong.  I decided to call my father.  As the tone rang I looked at a wall frame of the family, like I always do every time I call my mother or father.  My mother has long, brown hair and light green eyes.  In the picture she is sitting down, smiling.  She was skinny in the picture…now she’s pregnant.  In the middle is me.  At the time I was eight years old.  In the picture I’m in between my parents, my hand on their shoulders.  I still have the long brown hair I had in the picture and those green eyes.  My dad has black hair and green eyes.

            After breakfast, I went to school.  Now, I do not go to physical school.  I go to virtual school.  Unfortunately, my mother will not let me anywhere outside the house.  I barely know what sunlight feels like.  I know my mother is ashamed that I only have one eye.  I know no one in the outside world.  Luckily, I still am provided my needs such as an exercise room.

            It was midday when I got the news.  The news that would change my life forever…  My father called, sobbing.  And knowing something was wrong, I just didn’t say a word.  And he told me…

            “Your mother and your baby sister died in a car accident.”