1. Ashes of Yesterday

"Daddy, I love you. Please come home safe tonight." The sweet, innocent words from his daughter echoed in Jake's mind, tugging at his heart just as his Chief, Luke, walked into the sleeping quarters.

"Hey, man, you okay?" Luke asked, concern etched on his face as he settled into a chair across from Jake.

Jake forced a smile and tucked his phone away, but the heaviness in his heart was hard to shake. "Yeah, I'm fine," he replied, though the weariness in his voice betrayed him. "I just really hate being away from Alexa all the time." The thought of his little girl waiting for him at home loomed over him, a constant reminder of what he was missing.

Luke leaned forward, trying to steer the conversation in a more uplifting direction. "How old is she now?" he asked, genuine curiosity in his eyes.

Jake's expression softened as he spoke about his daughter, pride mixing with longing. "She's four," he said, a nostalgic smile breaking through. "It feels like just yesterday she was learning to walk, and now she's talking a mile a minute and asking a million questions. I can't believe how fast she's growing up." His gaze drifted to the window, lost in memories of her first steps and the laughter they shared.

"I just wish I could be there for all those little moments—the birthday parties, the school plays, even just reading her bedtime stories. It's tough knowing I'm missing so much," Jake continued, his voice tinged with emotion. Each milestone felt like a precious treasure slipping through his fingers, sacrificed on the altar of duty.

Luke nodded, understanding the weight of Jake's sacrifice. "It's not easy, man. But you're doing this for her, too. You're providing a life for her that many can only dream of."

Jake sighed, appreciating Luke's attempt to comfort him. "I know. I just want to be the dad she deserves." He looked back out the window, the stars beginning to twinkle in the evening sky, wishing he could be with her instead of here, longing for the warmth of her little hugs and the sound of her laughter.

Each night, Jake grappled with the fear of whether he would return home to his daughter. The haunting thought of her growing up without him weighed heavily on his mind. "How do you handle it?" he asked Luke, his anxiety clear in his voice.

"Jake, it's never easy," Luke replied, his tone serious. "I hate leaving my wife and kids, especially with all the news broadcasting live at the fires. Is this about Rick? You know it wasn't your fault."

The mention of Rick tightened Jake's stomach. He had always felt a deep responsibility for his partner's safety, and the reality of Rick's mistake hauntingly reminded him of how close he had come to losing everything.

"Yeah, he made a mistake that cost him his life—and almost mine last night," Jake said, his voice strained. "We don't leave anyone behind; that's our brotherhood. I couldn't reach him, so I had to back out. He died, and I lived. So yes, this is all about him."

After 15 years as a firefighter, Jake had saved many lives, but losing Rick was a first—and it felt like a burden he would carry forever. The weight of grief mixed with guilt churned inside him, making each day a struggle.

"Jake, it wasn't your fault. The roof caved in. In our line of work, we do our best to save everyone, but sometimes we can't save them all. We all lost a brother last night. Go home, Jake. Go see your daughter. I think that's what you need right now."

Luke's words hung in the air, a fragile lifeline amidst the storm of Jake's emotions. Just as he was about to pack up, the alarm rang out, slicing through the heaviness of the moment like a knife. Adrenaline surged through him as he sprang into action, racing toward the truck.

Once inside the vehicle, Jake pulled on his gear with practiced speed, his thoughts a chaotic whirlwind of fear and determination. The sirens blared, drowning out the noise of his racing heart, but all he could think about was Alexa—her laughter, her bright eyes, and the way she clung to him every time he came home. He needed to get back to her.