Where are they?

The smell of vegetables mixing and boiling in the pot filled the air as my mother stirred with a spoon. She turns the ovens switch off and the flames disappeared instantly. She tapped my shoulder silently telling me to call the kids down, but before I started walking out of the kitchen the little ones were already heading downstairs. The joyful sound of excitement to sit down for a bite filled the kitchen.

"Everyone! Have a seat! No, no, Ethan you know that's daddy's seat"

"Mom shall I go get dad?" I asked

"Please! He's in the garage honey, ask him if he wants to be served now or later"

I opened the door to the laundry room to be welcomed by a thick layer of smoke.

"Hey mom, could you let me know next time you're using the washer?" I said as I grabbed the slippery doorknob.

"Sorry Kai!"

I pulled the door seeing smoke as it rushed out into the cold air outside. I walk down the slippery stairs slowly, closing the door behind me. I started walking behind the house towards the garage. I noticed our small basketball hoop was set on my father's truck.

"Why's that there?" I said to myself

The garage door was open and the lights on. I walked in and suddenly the noise of paint being spread stopped.

"Is dinner ready Kai?" A voice came from behind the door.

"How'd you know I was there dad?" I replied as I set foot in the garage.

"I guess I'm just that lucky!" He said with a smile "So, is she serving?"

"Yeah she just finished. How's the car coming along?" I asked as I walked around the sparkly red vehicle.

"As you see here, I just finished painting it. I just need to wait 'til it dries-"

He stopped to move a huge tire out of the way.

"Then sell it and along with your mother's paycheck we'll be set to visit your grandparents for Christmas"

I spaced out looking at my own reflection on the hood of the vehicle. Then suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"That impressed?" He said "Yeah you're really good at this dad" "Why don't we go eat? Your mothers probably waiting" I nodded as we walked out of the garage. I walked out first and my dad shut the door behind him.

"Hey dad why is the basketball hoop in the truck?" I asked

"I'll tell you when we're inside so everyone hears it"

I walked up the steps and saw the steam of the washer fogging up the windows. I pushed the door and rushed in the house to avoid getting my glasses foggy...Several minutes later we were all sitting around the table enjoying the delicious treat mother cooked up. And as always my dad would finish first. He stood up and by the look on his face he's been wanting to say something ever since we got inside.

"Everyone I've got some news. Starting with the minor things. I'm bringing the small hoop inside for the playroom and getting a bigger hoop for the parking lot. Now before you all start jumping around. I'm looking at you Claire and Michael" He glared at my younger siblings.

"We're spending Christmas with your grandparents!" The little monsters jumped with joy.

Everyone was happy. Of course they are, our grandparents are amazing when it comes to Christmas. Not that they aren't awesome at other times of the year because well they are...

After the treat we all went to our own lil' worlds. My dad back to his garage, my mom either talking to my aunts over the phone or working out. And the siblings in the playroom. Me...well I just write stories, recite lines for my drama class in several different languages I might add. Or maybe just sit back and relax playing games with my siblings.