Chapter 1: Stranger

My name is Mariann Travis. I live in a two-story house. The house is located in a little neighborhood close to the woods. My husband, James Travis, thought it would be best if we lived somewhere new to start a new life.

My husband leaves for work one night. He's a police officer and had to work a late-night shift. I stayed home and watched nothing but scary movies.
I love horror movies. Nothing I see on tv scares me though, because I know it's fake.

Around 11: pm I start to get sleepy. I approach the stairs, when I hear a knock on the door. I look out the peaking hole and see this white man with blonde, long hair standing there.

I don't usually open the door to strangers. So, I call my husband. I ask him if he was expecting anybody to come over. Thankfully, he said he was expecting his old friend, Bryan to come and fix our toilet. Our toilet was having difficulties.

I open the door to the man. "Hello" he says to me. I let him into the house.

"Would you like some coffee?" I ask the man. He nods his head. I go into the kitchen, leaving him in the living room.

As soon as I finish making his coffee, I get a phone call. It's from James. I answer it.

"What's wrong?" I asked him. Then, he told me something shocking...

"Turns out, Bryan isn't coming after all. He called me and said he was having car trouble".

I drop the phone in shock. The man I let in was not Bryan. I slowly start walking towards the living room. I see the man holding a knife, grinning at me with his yellow teeth.

I run upstairs and lock myself in my room. I hide under the bed and put my hands over my mouth. I hear footsteps coming up the stairs. Then, I hear the door handle shaking. The man was trying to get into this room.

It's been 30 minutes, and I haven't heard the door handle or anything move. I see my husband's car lights pulling up into the drive-way. I run out the room and out the house. I jump on my husband in relief. I was so glad to see his face.

I explain to my husband everything that happened. He asks me where the man went, but I didn't know either. He just disappeared.