Glory and Gore

Ava’s heels clacked on the floor as she made her way to the front office of Hall Cross. She was in trouble, for sure. After what Louis had conned her into this time there was no way she was going to be able to get her father to let her off this time, never mind the principal. She pushed open the door, glancing around to see if Louis had been called in also. But he was no where to be seen.

            “Miss. Watson, have a seat. Mr. Smith will be with you in a minute,” Mrs. Burns smiled smugly.

            Ava licked her bottom lip and sat down in the seat closest to the door. She had never liked Mrs. Burns attitude. The way that she would look at Ava shown her that she looked down on her like Ava was a piece of garbage that had somehow made it into Hall Cross. It wasn’t her fault that her father had money and just wanted to get rid of his only daughter.

            A few seconds passed in complete silence before the principal’s door opened and out walked Louis, Ava’s partner in crime. He grinned as soon as his eyes landed on her. His blue eyes glimmered with mischief.

            “It’s nice to see that you’ve made it,” Ava snickered getting up from the chair.

            “Indeed it is,” Louis replied.

            “How long are you out for?” Ava asked, ignoring the fact that Mr. Smith was right there.

            “A week,” Louis answered, “I’ll see you later?”

            “Yeah,” Ava nodded, watching Louis walk out the door she had just came in through. Her friendship with Louis was a complicated one, full of secrets, trouble and sex, nothing with strings, just the occasional late night call. His dark hair, blue eyes, and arms covered in tattoos were what attracted her when she transferred. She was the new girl, he was the bad guy, but he didn’t turn her, she just came that way.

            “Miss. Watson,” Mr. Smith shook his head before turning back into his office. “What is it this time?” he asked, sitting down in his chair.

            Ava could see her file on his desk, just below Louis’. To be honest, Ava couldn’t really say what it was. It could be the fact that the previous night Louis had convinced her to pull a prank on the school. C’mon Ava, wouldn’t it be cool to be remembered? This is our last year at Hall Cross. We’ve got to do something for them to remember us by! So Ava had agreed. Her and Louis snuck onto the school campus and put their tags on it. It took hours, but the final product was great, just what she wanted. She drew all over the wall, messages in different languages, their group name, The Lost Boys. It was kind of cliché but she liked the name. Everything was going great until she remembered the security cameras. Immediately they left and kept their fingers crossed that it didn’t capture their faces, but everyone knew who The Lost Boys were in school.

            Mr. Smith pulled her file out and opened it, scanning the pages to see what Ava had done this time, “Ah…graffiti, trespassing on off school hours, and the list could go on and on.”

            “What’s my punishment?” Ava asked, wondering what else exactly was on ‘the list’. 

            “That my dear is up to you,” Mr. Smith raised his eyebrow. “I’ve spoken with your father.” Ava’s eyes grew. He’s spoken with my dad. “With your recent actions, I’m legally obligated to file charges against you and Mr. Tomlinson. This is your third offense at the school and that results in expulsion.”

            “So what I’m just kicked out? Why in the bloody hell is Louis able to continue to stay and I’m not?” Ava’s blood began to fill with anger. This wasn’t fair to her. Her voice pitched a bit. “What did my father say?”