Chapter 1: My name is April

April's P.O.V

Yes my name is April I know what you are thinking, isn't that stupid, but I was called that for a reason and that is  because everyone in my family is born on April. Creepy eh. Well my mums on the first, dads on the second, my brother Mike is on the fifth, my sister Grace is on the fifth,(Grace and Mike are twins) and I bet you guys think I'm born on the sixth, well...your wrong I'm born on the 13th. I know everyone says number 13 is bad luck and I will be cursed. Blah blah blah. Mike and Grace annoy me by saying I'm bad luck or I'm a disgrace because I'm not normal but mum says they are jealous because I'm rare and pretty but I'm not! I just have chocolatey brown eyes and coppery, auburn hair but that is not rare, rare is natural purple eyes and blue hair but I guess that is just fantasy!

Well my life is a living fantasy because when I'm sixteen I will change, not as in personality but as in a whole different creature. A wolf!

What can I do Mike and Grace have already changed and I have 2 years to go. I need to finish studying at Swanslake High then go to college but mum says there is no point because I will be leader of the pack because I am the youngest and youngest should be leader (This is because of the stupid family tradition), but I really don't want to be leader I want to grow up and be a forensic scientist but I guess there is no point! I have always asked mum if Grace can take over(even if she is 12 minutes younger then Mike) because she is 2nd youngest but no you can not go against family tradition!

...

"Do I have to go? Can't you take Grace instead, she just goes on and on how amazing changing to wolf form is!" I argue with mum,

"We need to practice your leadership skills and it is best if we do it in the woods"

"I still have 2 years until I change, and why in the woods? Can't we just practice here? There is no difference!"

"Listen to me honey I want you to grow up and become the best pack leader ever even better then me, your grand mother and your great grandmother, is it or is it not amazing how the youngest children in our families are female and I really want you to be the best pack leader I have met in my life, Do you understand what I'm trying to say?"

"OK...mum...please...I...don't really want to be a pack leader when I grow up I don't have the qualities to be a leader I am not cunning, strong, confident, loud but I have a passion for detective work and science." I explain,"At least let me finish my GCSE's, A levels and maybe study at university."

"April! How many times do I have to tell you this, you have a great future ahead of you, two years of school, then training hard."

"Why do Grace and Sam get to go to college and I don't, please don't tell me I have a great big responsibility to look forward to. Why can't Grace take over because Grace loves being a wolf and she has her wolf already, I still have two years!"

"Listen April if you don't train then I will send you to 'The Cove' and remember it is darkness for 2 days with only water and nothing else!" Mum shouting angrily.

"Fine but only for 2 hours..." I say,  finally giving in to my mother's request.

.........................................................................................................................................

Thank you for reading, vote and comment suggestions or ideas for the next chapter of the book!