Prologue

*Present day*

"Scarlett, stay with me," Jace whispered. Scarletts body lay across his lap. His hand resting on her cheek.
   "I love you, Jace. I'm sorry I couldn't help," she said weak. Her hands clasped over her stomach.
  "You can help, this war isn't over."
  "The war isn't...b-but I a-am."
  "Don't you talk like that," a tear ran down his face. "Alec, hurry," he screamed.
  "I love you Jace Wayland..."

*One year ago*

She walked the cold streets of New York city, not the safest place to be walking in the dark and alone but it was the only way she was getting home from her late night college class on this particular night. Her boyfriend usually picks her up and takes her home but tonight he was busy. She didn't know what he was doing which made her suspicious. Usually he wouldn't ever leave her to walk home alone, especially on her birthday of all days. Her phone rang in her pocket and her screen flashed up as 'mom'.

"Hey mom," she said through clenched teeth as she shivered from the cold.

"Scarlett, where are you?" her mom sounded panicked.

"I'm on my way home, mom. What's happened? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, honey. I was just worried 'cause you're usually home by now."

"I'll be home soon, mom. Jace couldn't pick me up tonight. I'll see you soon," she said and clicked her phone off and placed it back into her jacket pocket. She pulled her hood over her head and placed her hands in her pockets to shield them from the winter air.

"Izzy, wait up!" a dark haired man no older than twenty five shouted as he ran past Scarlett knocking her shoulder as he passed.

She stopped and stared in amazement at their beauty. Izzy's dark hair cascading down her back in loose curls. Their skin perfect or at least it looked perfect from a distance.

"Let's do this," Izzy said as a silver snake slithered down her arm into her hand as they walked into a club that she had never noticed before.

Scarlett started to walk towards the club, she wasn't dressed for clubbing but she was curious as to what it looked like inside and now that she was twenty one she could legally enter. She walked straight in past all of the security, they didn't even try to stop her. Someone caught her arm from behind making her turn around.

"Jace, what are you doing here?" she questioned looking him up and down. "And what are you wearing?"

"Um...clothes," he replied pulling her back down the steps of the club.

"You're wearing all black, you never wear all black. What's with the leather jacket and the biker boots?"

"I-I..."

"Jace, come on," the dark haired man from earlier shouted. "Izzy's getting impatient."

"Who is that?" Scarlett questioned Jace. "And why are you both pretty much dressed the same?"

"Y-you can see him?" Jace looked shocked as he stared at his girlfriend.

"Yes? Do you think I'm blind Jace? Of course I can see him, he's stood right there infront of me. He ran past me before with a girl called Izzy." She tilted her head looking at Jace, his face pale.

"You saw Izzy?"

Scarlett nodded. "Are you feeling okay? Who are these people?"

"You need to go home, Scar. It's not safe around here. Go home and I'll meet you there later, okay?" he placed his hands on her shoulders and looked into her eyes.

Scarlett searched his eyes, looking for some sort of answer. He raised his eyebrows waiting for an answer. She nodded "Okay, but I want answers."

"You'll get them, I promise," he said pecking her on the lips. "I'll see you soon," and with that he ran into the club disappearing into the darkness.