Sam Dason DDS : Finding the Best Toothbrush and Floss

Brush twice, floss once – that's per day, every day. Not new information, but a lot of people struggle with this routine for optimal oral care. Sam Dason DDS knows that using improper tools in an improper manner can result in ineffective cleaning and can be uncomfortable for some. Here are some of the top recommended products from dentists and consumers.

First off, know that manual and electric toothbrushes can be equally effective if they are used properly. This often comes down to personal preference. The top five electric toothbrushes, according to one source, are: Oral-B Pro Smartseries, Phillips Sonicare 2, Oral-B Pro Power Rechargeable, Puresonic, and Waterpik Sensonic.

Manual toothbrushes can be simple or decked out with other features to clean the gums, cheeks, and tongue. The top five brands here are: Colgate Extra Clean, Oral-B Pro-Health Clinical Pro-Flex, Dr. Collins Perio Toothbrush, GUM Technique Deep Clean, and the Nimbus Microfine Toothbrush.

As far as floss goes, you have the option of buying a spool of floss or the little plastic flossers. The flossers are convenient, quick, and can reach difficult places. However, they might not be as economic when you compare price of traditional floss and a pack of flossers. Often, floss comes down to preference – flavor, color (cinnamon makes it hard to see blood), natural options, etc. Many people have come to prefer Glide floss, as it, well, glides nicely, making it a more comfortable experience.

If you are at a loss for the best type for you, ask your dentist. Sam Dason, DDS has made many recommendations through the years which tend to change with the updated products hitting the market. Otherwise, find what works and use it regularly.