Chapter One: I Get "Claimed" by Pancakes

(For first challenge of Bostonterrior007's Writing Contest)

Chapter One: I Get "Claimed" by Pancakes

My name is Maple. My skin almost looks like a light shade of green and I have elvish features, but I'm not a nymph. I'm a demigod. I have long light reddish pink hair and green eyes. I came to Camp Half-Blood about a month ago after living in the wild for my life. The nymphs tended to me until I finally left. They made sure I was fed, gave me clothes, everything.

I'd never been claimed. I had almost started to believe I was a nymph without a tree. But if I was, wouldn't I be dead? When I first arrived, Chiron had stared me down like I was a big pile of hay -- sorry, I mean, whatever centaurs eat.

I've been in the Hermes cabin the whole time I've been at camp, just hoping to be claimed. This morning I was called to Chiron's office in the Big House for some "very important news." As soon as I got there he handed me a reed pipe pan-flute thing. "Play me a song," he said. So that's what this was, a test.

I randomly played a few notes and vines started sprouting from the ground and wrapped around my ankles. I stopped in alarm and the vines retreated. "Is it supposed to do that?" I asked.

"Only for the people who can make the magic work."

"It's magic?"

"No," he said. "It's completely ordinary." Several flashbacks came to me at once. I'd done that trick with vines and plants before. I'd never really thought anything of it, but it'd happened. He handed me a letter. "This came for you today."

I reached out and took it. It was from a nymph back in the woods, Cherry. I read it. "It says I'm a daughter of Pan. But he can't claim me because he faded."

"And based on what you just did with that flute, I'm thinking she's right."

"Well who on earth is he? God of frying pans?" I laughed. "Or, no, no. I've got another one: Pan, god of pancakes! Last one, last one: Is he the god of Pandas?" I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe.

Chiron obviously didn't find it amusing. "God of the Wild," he answered me calmly. "Why don't you go and let this sink in for a minute." I started to give him back the flute. "Keep it," he told me. I clutched it in my arms and walked away.