Chapter 1-60

Chapter 1: New Beginnings

Within the entirety of Earth existed only two Arcanists, at least if you took Rainer's word for it. With such a supposed circumstance, it did not take long for him to grow bored with his current state of life. 

Perhaps, being someone who could wield magic at their fingertips should make him feel special. Add to that the feeling of being almost alone in this power and special is not enough to describe the situation. 

Perhaps, he should have been content with the few abilities he had that no other human could wield. Yet, it was the very fact he had those abilities that became the issue. Rainer had no reason to be unhappy. But that was precisely where his unhappiness stemmed from. 

Had he been completely normal, Rainer could have accepted his current life. There was little to complain about. He had a supporting family that paid for him to go to college across the country, his own apartment as a college sophomore, and magical abilities that let him learn in his sleep. He also took up lifting weights early on. So, despite having hobbies that often kept people from thriving in society, he didn't suffer. 

He felt his entire life was being wasted and that he could be casting powerful magic, comprehending the true mysteries of the universe, and soaring above his normality.

The man who could be king desires it far more than the man who never had a chance.

He had grown more and more disillusioned with his future. All his magic had accomplished thus far is allow him to be lazy, he would obtain more. He had to. And so, came about Rainer's current situation of depending on sleep learning to get through his classes while he focused on his first original spell, wall-walking. Such a task consumed him.

He came up with the idea for wall-walking after a magically charged finger slipped through a piece of paper. Of course, he ignored the fact it didn't pass through the paper but burned through it. That didn't matter to him. He simply sought what he sought. And after months of work, he began his first practice run.

Right in front of him hung a large piece of cardboard that covered up a doorway in his apartment. He would try to pass his hand through the cardboard and then his whole body. The reverse engineering of the spells taught by his grandfather combined with modern knowledge of molecules led him to this point. At the very least he created a spell that did something. Whether it did the right thing or catastrophically failed had yet to be seen.

He paused for a moment before deciding down to write something down in case of said catastrophic failure. Yes, he was at a point where he was willing to risk his life learning a new magic. 

To all those who may be concerned, yadda yadda yadda, grandpa I screwed up, you know how, blah blah blah, tell my family what you want, blah blah blah.

Sincerely, Rainer

It was a note that lacked any seriousness. Life threatening? That was just drama in an otherwise calm reality. He may at most hurt his hand and be unable to write such a note while it healed.

With but a thought, the spell activated...yet nothing seemed to happen. Though that was only how it seemed. 

The world turned into a black nothingness causing Rainer to lose consciousness temporarily, If only for a moment. And now, in a different time and a different place, a young man stood alone in a dark cave on the precipice of what would become his new life or his grave. 

Rubbing his head in confusion Rainer could only show a stunned look to the scenery around him. He was supposed to have just put his hand through a wall.  And not even a real wall. Just a large piece of carboard.