new year, new me |1

It's 11:59, the room is spinning, and I can't find my shoes-- or my date. 

I pushed through the crowded club, the neon-colored drink in my hand sloshing over the rim of the glass with each wobbly step. I didn't remember where he said he was going and honestly I barely remember his name, but I refused to go into the new decade alone. I spotted his shirt at the bar and stumbled towards him. The room filled with slurred shouting as the countdown began. 

10...9...8...! I pinched my nose closed as I chugged my drink. The liquor burned the back of my throat and I slid the glass onto the bar counter. 

7...6...5...! I put my hand onto his upper back and I felt that his shirt was damp with sweat. Gross. He turned around on the bar stool and looked at me confused. This wasn't who I came with. 

4...3...2...! "I'm sorry, I thought you were--fuck it." He flashed a smile as he stood from the bar stool. 

1! I grabbed his face and pressed my lips against his. Without hesitation he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer to him. I didn't know that man, but In that moment I sure wanted to.

"Shit," I pulled away from him and rubbed my temples. "I shouldn't have done that. I'm so sor--"

He steps back and smirks at me as he wipes his hand across his lips. "Happy New Year to you too," he interrupted. 

"Imani? I've been looking for you everywhere." The man I came with lightly grabbed my wrist and turned me around to face him. 

"Eric!" I smiled at him awkwardly. "We should go." 

He looked down at me and gently kissed my lips. "Of course. Happy New Year." He held up a black pair of heels. 

I turned back to see if the other guy was still there. He wasn't. I sighed with relief and took Eric's hand. I used him as support while I struggled to put my shoes back on. I stood up and let him lead me out of the club. 

2020 was off to a great start.