Baking at 3 A.M.

Susan wandered around the pitch black house at three in the morning, in search for her father; Dan.

"Daddy?" She asked as she found him on the couch with his laptop on his lap and the reflective white light making his face visible. His eyes darted to the little girl in the hallway.

"Darling, what are you doing up?" He asked nervously, getting up and closing is laptop.

"I couldn't sleep." She murmured rubbing her small brown eyes. Dan smiled and picked her up and she rested her head on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry Princess. How about we bake a cake to surprise daddy?" Susan's eyes lit up and she looked at Dan and nodded. Dan giggled and carried her to to the kitchen, and let her sit on the counter. He flipped on the lights and gently tapped her nose. "Okay, so first thing we need is the dry ingredients." Dan started pulling stuff out of the cabinets and setting them down next to his daughter. He looked at her and hugged her. "We have to be very quiet so we don't wake up daddy, okay?"

"Okay!" Susan said happily.

As they started baking, they didn't realise how loud they were getting. Phil in the room down the hall woke up and slipped on his glasses and slowly got out of bed. He walked in to the kitchen just as Dan and Susan were putting the cake in the oven.

"Bear, Babygirl? What are you doing awake?" He asked rubbing his eyes under his glasses. Dan helped Susan down and she ran at Phil.

"Daddy!!!" She yelped jumping at him. Phil smiled and caught her and hugged her tight. "Hey, Babygirl." Dan giggled and kissed his husband.

"Goodmorning, Baby." He whispered in his ear. Phil's face turned red and he smiled.

"Goodmorning, Bear. Are you going to tell me what you and our princess were doing at three in the morning?" Dan looked at his daughter and she laughed and shook her head.

"Nope. Go back to sleep, baby." He cooed as phil put Susan down.

"Well, I'm not going to sleep now, so why don't we watch a movie?" Susan's eyes lit up and she nodded. Dan smiled and sighed.

"Fine, Susan go with daddy and pick out a movie I'll get something for us to eat." The timer on the oven beeped and Dan pulled the cake out and let it cool. He got white icing and blue and green food colouring. He started mixing the colours together and created blue and green marble frosting. He put it on the frosting and took the heart shaped pan and some plates into the living room. He set down the cake and looked at them. "Don't touch anything yet." Dan warned looking at Phil. He left the room and came back with pop corn and glasses of lactose free milk. Phil looked up at him and then to Susan.

"You baked a cake?" He asked, looking mostly at Susan. Dan smiled and held her on his lap. Their daughter giggled and smiled.

"Yup! I hope you like it, Daddy!!" Susan said quietly, Phil took a fork and cut a small piece out and put it on a plate and took a bite.

"Wow, Susan! You and Daddy did really well."

They sat like that, watching movies and eating cake like a small happy family.