You Have Bewitched Me

My most humble dedication to: ThatReeader 👑

bewitch; [verb] to put (someone) under a spell

"You Have Bewitched Me"

   "PLEASE," HE BEGS, his eyes filled with sincerity as they stare deeply into mine. "If you'd just hear me out for a second..."

   A strong feeling cuts through my heart like Cupid's arrow as I watch his deep brown eyes try their best to converse with mine, except this feeling hurts like an extra size burning arrow cutting through my heart.

   I stand there, a mixture of confused feelings stirring inside me. I can't possibly handle a scenario like this: him begging me to let him speak as I shoo him away when I think it's for the best of everything.

   But he did the same to you, Hailey -- except you never begged for him to do anything at all. And his reason for it was the same: for the best of everything.

   Those words are annoyingly overrated.

   I just want to go back to my normal life where there are no princes inviting me to a birthday party only for us to end up fighting, only for a paparazzi to steal a photo of us and plaster it on the front page of a newspaper and only for both me and my dad to suffer after the spread of the news.

   You're not the only one suffering here, Hailey.

   Perhaps my subconscious is right. Matt's shoulders are probably also weighing down on this whole situation. As the future king of this country, these past few weeks must have been hard for him though the difficulty can't be deciphered from his face. His smiles, his laughs --- they hide the true feelings dwelling deep within him.

   But is it my fault he's also joining me in this suffering?

   Partly, yes. Both of you caused this chaos.

   This --- everything --- has become too overwhelming. I can barely process everything in my mind. How can life fuck me this hard over and over again?

   I drop my things on the floor with a loud thud, my eyes not leaving his as I cross my arms and sigh in defeat.

   If he can put aside all his humor just to tell me something, maybe it would be worth listening to. I give it a shot.

   "Explain," I finally decide, my voice dull and demanding.

   The sincere expression in his face doesn't slip away as his eyes silently thanks me. He stretches out his cold hands to mine and slips his long fingers through the gaps between them, filling them. I want to grab them back away from his strong grip as my pride slowly takes over me again, but a part of me shakes her head so I let him speak.

   "What I've told you back in the elevator, you still remember that, right?" He asks, his voice sexy and sincere at the same time.

   How can he sound so sexy even with a sincere voice?